DISCUSS: Does Jackson Holliday have a firm hold on the second base job?

The Orioles are not guaranteeing that Jackson Holliday will be their starting second baseman when the 2025 season starts, but it’s pretty clear they expect exactly that result.

At age 20 in 60 games last season, he hit .189/.255/.311/.565 for an OPS+ of just 66.

His struggles led some fans to question how he became the No. 1 ranked player in the minors and to question his potential? I can remind you how – he earned it.

I asked manager Brandon Hyde this week if Holliday is his guy at second base?

“Think we’re going to give him every opportunity,” the skipper said. “Loved the way he finished the season last year (going 4-for-5 the last weekend). I like the swing adjustments that he’s made. I just talked to him yesterday, he feels great. And you know, he’s a big part of the future for us. We’re going to give him every opportunity this spring.”

Hyde said Holliday will primarily be at second base on defense but could fill in at short if needed.

Said O’s executive vice president and general manager Mike Elias of Holliday: “One of the brightest talents in the sport, I think he’s going to be a really special hitter. He is somebody we are looking to take a big leap this year now that he’s seen what the big leagues are about.

“This guy is a really exciting, prodigious, special young hitter and I think he’s going to have a great career.”

Some fans got down on this kid after last year. The team has not even an inch.

Potentially losing a key player: I asked Hyde this week what his thoughts would be if, I say, the O’s lose Anthony Santander to another team. That outcome seems likely, more so once the O’s signed outfielder Tyler O’Neill.

When Hyde answered that question, he seemed to be talking about a friend as a much as a player.

“I have a real soft spot for Tony,” he said. “I remember him my first spring training. He didn’t make our team out of camp, but I loved the way he played right away. He’s always had a great attitude and did things the right way. He built himself into a middle-of-the-order impact bat.

“He’s earned what he is going to get. I’m really proud of him honestly and happy for him. He’s in a spot right now where every major league player tries to get to. The amount of hours he’s put in to reach this spot in his career, it’s well deserved.”

Sounds like someone Hyde will almost always root for, save maybe if and when he bats against his team.

“Someone I’ve been close to. We have a great relationship and have been through some good moments and some tough moments. You always want what’s best for the players. I have a deep affection for him. I feel like we’ve helped each other a lot the last six years,” said Hyde.

Lefty batters and the left-field wall: When we think about the O’s moving the left field wall in, our minds lead us to think of right-handed batters like Ryan Mountcastle, who lost homers to that wall.

But both hitting coach Cody Asche and Hyde have pointed out that the new dimensions will help lefty hitters too.

“We have left-handed hitters that can drive the baseball,” Hyde said. “You saw some guys get frustrated last year, I’m talking about lefty hitters, because they would do everything right and let the ball travel and drive it the other way. And it would be off the wall or homers in other parks, and some got caught in our park. And they did everything right on that pitch. To not get rewarded, there was some frustration there.

“With the natural power that a lot of our left-handers have – and you are talking about guys like Gunnar (Henderson) and (Colton) Cowser and Adley (Rutschman) and (Ryan) O’Hearn, guys that can drive the ball to all fields – think bringing that wall in is going to be more beneficial for them.”

The Red Sox strike: The Boston Red Sox acquired a frontline starting pitcher via trade at the Winter Meetings on Wednesday. They got lefty Garrett Crochet from the Chicago White Sox for a package of four prospects. Crochet has massive talent and two years of team control remaining to front the Boston rotation.

The Red Sox gave up catcher Kyle Teel, MLBPipeline.com’s No. 25 ranked top 100 prospect and outfielder Braden Montgomery, rated No. 54. They paid what looks to be a pretty big price, but they got a stud pitcher.

Couple this news with Tuesday’s news that the Yankees signed lefty Max Fried to an eight-year deal and Birdland is a bit nervous. They have seen the Sox and Yankees pick up pitchers – two that were linked to the Orioles – while the O’s search for pitching continues.

Disclaimer – it’s still December and there is plenty of time. But the nerves are out there, you can feel it.

Related Posts

🚨 BREAKING BOSTON DESPERATELY NEEDS A SPARK — After a frustrating start filled with offensive struggles, the Red Sox are now counting on one infielder to finally break out at the plate before the season begins slipping away, with pressure building fast inside Fenway Park 👀🔥👇👇👇

PRESSURE BUILDING IN BOSTON: RED SOX DESPERATELY NEED CALEB DURBIN TO WAKE UP OFFENSIVELY BEFORE SEASON SLIPS FURTHER AWAY The growing frustration surrounding the Boston Red Sox…

🚨 BREAKING PANIC IS GROWING IN THE BRONX — Yankees ace Max Fried has reportedly made a worrying admission about his injury situation, instantly sending concern through New York as fans fear the team’s championship hopes could already be facing a serious threat before the season reaches its most important stretch 👀💔👇👇👇

Getty Max Fried and Aaron Boone confer in the dugout as the Yankees navigate Fried’s uncertain injury recovery timeline following his IL placement with a left elbow…

🚨 BREAKING MATTHEW BOYD UPDATE JUST CHANGED THE MOOD IN CHICAGO — The latest injury news surrounding Matthew Boyd is already grabbing the attention of Cubs fans everywhere, with growing belief that the veteran left-hander’s situation could have a major impact on Chicago’s pitching plans moving forward 👀🔥👇👇👇

The Chicago Cubs have been without Matthew Boyd in the starting rotation since he was placed on the 15-day IL on May 6. After being given a…

🚨 BREAKING ANOTHER MAJOR BLOW HITS BOSTON — Red Sox fans are anxiously searching for answers after Trevor Story’s sudden injury situation reportedly forced the veteran infielder toward the injured list, creating fresh concern about the stability of Boston’s infield at a critical point in the season 👀💔👇👇👇

RED SOX DISASTER GROWS: TREVOR STORY HEADED TO INJURED LIST AS BOSTON’S NIGHTMARE SEASON CONTINUES TO SPIRAL The nightmare season for the Boston Red Sox just took…

🚨 BREAKING PAUL O’NEILL JUST TOUCHED THE HEART OF NEW YORK — Yankees legend Paul O’Neill has reportedly donated $300,000 to a cancer relief fund in an emotional gesture that is bringing the Bronx to tears, with fans everywhere deeply moved after his powerful words: “I understand what that pain feels like…” 👀💔👇👇👇

In a moment that silenced the baseball world, Paul O’Neill — a legend associated with the golden age of the New York Yankees — announced a $300,000…

Gіаntѕ Predіcted To End Fаіled Rаfаel Deverѕ Exрerіment

іMаGe: аtlаntа Brаveѕ cаtcher ѕeаn Murрhy (12) lookѕ аt the ѕаn Frаncіѕco Gіаntѕ dugout аfter beіng hіt by а ріtch іn the fіrѕt іnnіng аt Truіѕt раrk….