Mets owner Steve Cohen drops cryptic Juan Soto free agency message

Steve Cohen succinctly summarized the Mets’ chances of landing Juan Soto

The New York Mets are among the favorites to land Juan Soto in free agency, and team owner Steve Cohen isn’t hiding it. Meeting with reporters on Monday, he offered no new information about the team’s pursuit of their cross-town rival’s superstar. He did, however, make it clear that Soto is a priority.

“We’re gonna find out. It’s either yes or no,” he said of the team’s chances to acquire Soto. “There’s no in-between and time will tell.”

That comes just a few days after former MLB GM Jim Bowden declared the Mets his favorite to win the Soto sweepstakes.

“If Cohen wants him, he will make the highest bid,” Bowden said. “And if he does that and no other team matches it, I think he’s getting his man.”

Not many would dispute Bowden’s belief that Cohen will make the highest bid – it’s what he’s known for. And hearing Cohen’s statement on Monday, it seems to indicate he has a number in mind. For now, all we can do is speculate about what that number is. Almost daily, baseball writers weigh in with a different scenario for Soto and a different gigantic number he could sign for, ranging from around $500 million to well over $700 million.

If Cohen ultimately offers something on that upper end, it’s hard to see another team — particularly the Yankees or Red Sox — matching.

Is the race for Juan Soto down to the Mets, Yankees, and 2 others?

Mets owner Steve Cohen drops cryptic Juan Soto message amid free agency pursuit
Jayne Kamin-Oncea-Imagn Images

Related New York Mets NewsArticle continues below

USA Today’s Bob Nightengale seems to think the race for Soto is between four teams.

“There really are only four teams that are seriously in play for Soto,” he wrote on Monday. “The Mets, the Yankees, the Toronto Blue Jays and the Boston Red Sox.”

Cohen will throw everything he has at Soto and the Yankees have the advantage of being his home for 2024, while the team made a run to the World Series.  As for the Blue Jays, Nightengale believes the team needs to “dramatically outbid” the Mets to have a chance. The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal added that with Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and Bo Bichette entering their final years of team control, it’s possible that Soto would see Toronto as too much of a risk. As he put it, Soto could get “stuck in a bad situation.”

Soto met with the Red Sox last week, as the Boston brass answered his questions on player evaluation, commitment to winning, and facilities. The two sides reportedly did not discuss contract figures.

Related Posts

🚨 BREAKING BOSTON DESPERATELY NEEDS A SPARK — After a frustrating start filled with offensive struggles, the Red Sox are now counting on one infielder to finally break out at the plate before the season begins slipping away, with pressure building fast inside Fenway Park 👀🔥👇👇👇

PRESSURE BUILDING IN BOSTON: RED SOX DESPERATELY NEED CALEB DURBIN TO WAKE UP OFFENSIVELY BEFORE SEASON SLIPS FURTHER AWAY The growing frustration surrounding the Boston Red Sox…

🚨 BREAKING PANIC IS GROWING IN THE BRONX — Yankees ace Max Fried has reportedly made a worrying admission about his injury situation, instantly sending concern through New York as fans fear the team’s championship hopes could already be facing a serious threat before the season reaches its most important stretch 👀💔👇👇👇

Getty Max Fried and Aaron Boone confer in the dugout as the Yankees navigate Fried’s uncertain injury recovery timeline following his IL placement with a left elbow…

🚨 BREAKING MATTHEW BOYD UPDATE JUST CHANGED THE MOOD IN CHICAGO — The latest injury news surrounding Matthew Boyd is already grabbing the attention of Cubs fans everywhere, with growing belief that the veteran left-hander’s situation could have a major impact on Chicago’s pitching plans moving forward 👀🔥👇👇👇

The Chicago Cubs have been without Matthew Boyd in the starting rotation since he was placed on the 15-day IL on May 6. After being given a…

🚨 BREAKING ANOTHER MAJOR BLOW HITS BOSTON — Red Sox fans are anxiously searching for answers after Trevor Story’s sudden injury situation reportedly forced the veteran infielder toward the injured list, creating fresh concern about the stability of Boston’s infield at a critical point in the season 👀💔👇👇👇

RED SOX DISASTER GROWS: TREVOR STORY HEADED TO INJURED LIST AS BOSTON’S NIGHTMARE SEASON CONTINUES TO SPIRAL The nightmare season for the Boston Red Sox just took…

🚨 BREAKING PAUL O’NEILL JUST TOUCHED THE HEART OF NEW YORK — Yankees legend Paul O’Neill has reportedly donated $300,000 to a cancer relief fund in an emotional gesture that is bringing the Bronx to tears, with fans everywhere deeply moved after his powerful words: “I understand what that pain feels like…” 👀💔👇👇👇

In a moment that silenced the baseball world, Paul O’Neill — a legend associated with the golden age of the New York Yankees — announced a $300,000…

Gіаntѕ Predіcted To End Fаіled Rаfаel Deverѕ Exрerіment

іMаGe: аtlаntа Brаveѕ cаtcher ѕeаn Murрhy (12) lookѕ аt the ѕаn Frаncіѕco Gіаntѕ dugout аfter beіng hіt by а ріtch іn the fіrѕt іnnіng аt Truіѕt раrk….