Braves’ Sean Murphy Fires Strong Message Ahead of 2025 Opening Day

Atlanta Braves catcher Sean Murphy
Atlanta Braves catcher Sean Murphy is out to prove his doubters wrong during the 2025 MLB season.

The 2025 regular season has yet to begin, but it already has a Groundhog Day-type feel to it for Atlanta Braves catcher Sean Murphy.

Last year, Murphy suffered a strained left oblique. The injury sidelined him for two months.

On Feb. 28, Murphy sustained a cracked rib on a hit by pitch during a Spring Training game. This ailment is expected to keep the catcher out for 4-6 weeks.

But despite the injury, Murphy isn’t waivering in his goal to bounce back this season.

“I’m still the same guy,” Murphy told MLB.com’s Mark Bowman. “I just got to get over this little speed bump.”

Bowman reported on March 22 that the Braves cleared Murphy to resume “some baseball activities” this week. In the first few days of that clearance, Murphy has mostly worked defensive drills.

Murphy still doesn’t have a return date, but Bowman concluded that it could be less than three weeks until the veteran catcher is ready to return. That assumes everything goes smoothly with his recovery.

To rebound from a disappointing 2024 season, Murphy will have to bounce back much better from injury in 2025. Murphy returned to the lineup on May 27 last year, but he wasn’t “the same guy” as 2023.

Murphy hit .193 with a .636 OPS in 72 games last season. Both of those statistics were career worsts.

In 2023, Murphy slashed .251/.365/.478 in 108 games as he made his first All-Star team.

Murphy could potentially have more adversity to return to his 2023 level. With Murphy expected to miss the first two weeks of the season, Braves top prospect Drake Baldwin is set to make his MLB debut.

Baldwin experienced a strong enough camp that he could have made the Braves roster even without Murphy’s injury. But with Murphy out, Baldwin will serve as Atlanta’s primary catcher to begin the season.

If Baldwin starts his MLB career strongly, then Murphy may have to earn back his regular role behind the plate.

Murphy, though, is confident that his recovery will go well and that he will be his 2023 self again.

“I’m real disappointed to miss [Spring Training], but this is a lot easier to recover from,” Murphy told Bowman.

Related Posts

💥 BREAKING NEWS: Franklin Arias Was Suddenly Pulled From The Game After Trevor Story’s Injury Scare — And Now Red Sox Nation Is Holding Its Breath, Wondering If Boston’s No. 1 Prospect Is About To Be Thrown Into The Spotlight

Red Sox fans were celebrating a hard-fought 3-2 win over the top-ranked Atlanta Braves on Saturday when a bombshell dropped from Double-A Portland — their No. 1…

🚨 BREAKING BOSTON DESPERATELY NEEDS A SPARK — After a frustrating start filled with offensive struggles, the Red Sox are now counting on one infielder to finally break out at the plate before the season begins slipping away, with pressure building fast inside Fenway Park 👀🔥👇👇👇

PRESSURE BUILDING IN BOSTON: RED SOX DESPERATELY NEED CALEB DURBIN TO WAKE UP OFFENSIVELY BEFORE SEASON SLIPS FURTHER AWAY The growing frustration surrounding the Boston Red Sox…

🚨 BREAKING PANIC IS GROWING IN THE BRONX — Yankees ace Max Fried has reportedly made a worrying admission about his injury situation, instantly sending concern through New York as fans fear the team’s championship hopes could already be facing a serious threat before the season reaches its most important stretch 👀💔👇👇👇

Getty Max Fried and Aaron Boone confer in the dugout as the Yankees navigate Fried’s uncertain injury recovery timeline following his IL placement with a left elbow…

🚨 BREAKING MATTHEW BOYD UPDATE JUST CHANGED THE MOOD IN CHICAGO — The latest injury news surrounding Matthew Boyd is already grabbing the attention of Cubs fans everywhere, with growing belief that the veteran left-hander’s situation could have a major impact on Chicago’s pitching plans moving forward 👀🔥👇👇👇

The Chicago Cubs have been without Matthew Boyd in the starting rotation since he was placed on the 15-day IL on May 6. After being given a…

🚨 BREAKING ANOTHER MAJOR BLOW HITS BOSTON — Red Sox fans are anxiously searching for answers after Trevor Story’s sudden injury situation reportedly forced the veteran infielder toward the injured list, creating fresh concern about the stability of Boston’s infield at a critical point in the season 👀💔👇👇👇

RED SOX DISASTER GROWS: TREVOR STORY HEADED TO INJURED LIST AS BOSTON’S NIGHTMARE SEASON CONTINUES TO SPIRAL The nightmare season for the Boston Red Sox just took…

🚨 BREAKING PAUL O’NEILL JUST TOUCHED THE HEART OF NEW YORK — Yankees legend Paul O’Neill has reportedly donated $300,000 to a cancer relief fund in an emotional gesture that is bringing the Bronx to tears, with fans everywhere deeply moved after his powerful words: “I understand what that pain feels like…” 👀💔👇👇👇

In a moment that silenced the baseball world, Paul O’Neill — a legend associated with the golden age of the New York Yankees — announced a $300,000…