Red Sox’s Jarren Duran Gets Brutally Honest About Negativity From Fans, Media

Boston Red Sox outfielder Jarren Duran certainly is far removed from his star turn in 2024.

The breakout star of last season, Duran hasn’t quite been the same caliber of player in his follow-up campaign. He’s also had to hear his name constantly floated in trade rumors, as the presumptive fourth outfielder in Boston’s absurdly talented, absurdly young lineup.

After winning All-Star Game Most Valuable Player honors and finishing eighth in American League MVP voting last year, Duran is currently slashing .259/.326/.440 – numbers that look a lot better after an excellent month of July.

Duran’s struggles with self-doubt and depression are well-documented, as the 28-year-old detailed a failed attempt to take his own life in the Netflix documentary “The Clubhouse,” that released in April. And as he’s navigated a challenging season, Duran admits he’s heard the negativity from fans and media.

“It’s kind of hard to not look at last year, because all the negative stuff I see is that I suck and I’m not what I was last year,” said Duran, per Alex Speier of the Boston Globe. “Everybody loves to talk about it, but at the same time it’s like, I don’t think these people realize how hard it is to be an All-Star Game MVP every single night. It’s just not humanly possible. This game is a game of failure. You fail more than you succeed. [But] knowing myself, I always see all the negative stuff.”

But for as much pressure as one might think Duran deals with externally, the outfielder says he’s even harder on himself. Accomplishing all he did last year didn’t make him think he’d made it as a big-leaguer; it made him worried about having to live up to his newfound notoriety.

“It’s just how I am. I mean, honestly, when I won the All-Star Game MVP last year, I was happy about it, but at the same time, I was like, ‘Well, crap. I’m going to have to put this pressure on myself to be this player every single night,’” Duran said. “As dumb as it sounds, I was like, ‘Oh, [expletive].’ I’m just putting more pressure on my own self, like, ‘I’ve done this. Now I expect myself to do this every night.’”

There may still be those who want Duran traded, but based on a report from WEEI’s Rob Bradford, it seems the Red Sox are done entertaining any ideas of moving him, so that’s one less thing to worry about the rest of the way.

If he can keep building his self-confidence and ignore the voices telling him what he can’t do, he just might get to play in October.

Related Posts

🔥 EXCLUSIVE SPRING OPENER SCOOP: White Sox @ Cubs – Full Lineups, Starters & Broadcast Details Revealed! White Sox lineup features Curtis Mead leading off at 3B, Kyle Teel catching, Austin Hays in LF, Munetaka Murakami at 1B – while Cubs counter with Jonathan Long 1B, Alex Bregman 3B, Seiya Suzuki CF! Cannon (RHP) vs Taillon (RHP) in a battle of righties – catch it on Marquee Sports Network (Cubs side), MLB.TV streaming, ESPN 1000 radio for Sox fans! Early highlights already popping – who’s stealing the show in Mesa? 👇

 The Chicago White Sox make their way to Sloan Park on Friday to officially begin Cactus League play, opening Spring Training against their crosstown rival, the Chicago…

⚾ SHOCKING INSIDER TAKE: ESPN Drops ‘Team-Friendly’ Bomb on Ronald Acuña Jr.’s Braves Future – Extension in Jeopardy? Buster Olney warns Atlanta’s front office won’t shell out mega-dollars for their MVP star beyond the current deal, sticking to their history of low-risk, team-friendly contracts only – if Acuña’s market value skyrockets post-injury recovery, could the Braves really let their franchise face walk or trigger “Plan B” sooner than fans think? 👇

The Atlanta Braves find themselves facing a quietly looming dilemma involving superstar outfielder Ronald Acuña Jr.. While the issue will not impact their immediate plans for the…

⚾ BLUNT WARNING DROPPED: Red Sox Front Office Issues Ice-Cold Ultimatum to Back-End Rotation – Shape Up or Ship Out! Boston’s brass just delivered a savage reality check to the shaky tail-end starters, hinting at zero patience for inconsistency as spring heats up – one more bad outing and jobs could vanish overnight! Is this the wake-up call that saves the season or the first sign of a brutal roster purge? 👇

The Boston Red Sox entered Spring Training this year with an uncharacteristic level of clarity near the top of their rotation but an equally intense sense of…

⚾ INTENSE BATTLE ALERT: Red Sox Refuse to Hand Marcelo Mayer the Infield Job – Brutal Spring Training Showdown Incoming! Boston’s front office drops a bombshell by keeping the infield wide open, forcing the top prospect to fight tooth-and-nail against vets and rising stars in camp – one bad week and his path to Fenway could slam shut forever! Is Mayer ready to dominate or will this test expose cracks in the hype? 👇

The Boston Red Sox arrived in Fort Myers this spring with more questions than answers, and at the center of that uncertainty stands top infield prospect Marcelo…

🔥 RAGE-BAIT EXPLOSION: Boone’s Weird Spring Lineup Against Orioles Has Yankees Nation in Full Panic Mode! Fans are losing their minds over the odd choices – no Judge cleanup, Volpe shifted, and prospects getting big at-bats – sparking endless hot takes and memes calling it a “disaster preview”! Could this be Boone trolling everyone or the first red flag of another disappointing year? 👇

New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone sparked an immediate wave of online criticism and heated discussion after unveiling his first Spring Training lineup against the Baltimore Orioles….

⚾ LUXURY LIFE ALERT: Cubs Star Pete Crow-Armstrong Drops $1.2M on Swanky Loop Condo – Chicago’s Newest Baller Move! The young outfield phenom just locked in a high-rise gem right in the heart of the Loop, complete with insane views and elite amenities – is this the ultimate sign he’s planting roots in Chicago for a monster long-term run with the Cubs? 👇

ENGLISH VERSION (Sports-Journalism Style, 1000+ words) Chicago Cubs center fielder Pete Crow-Armstrong made headlines off the field this winter, finalizing the purchase of a $1.195 million luxury…