Star prospect to rejoin Cubs ‘soon’ after HR frenzy in minors

The Matt Shaw watch in Chicago appears to be nearing its conclusion. After slugging four home runs in three games and making visible improvements to his swing mechanics, the Cubs’ top infield prospect is on the verge of rejoining the big-league roster. Shaw was pulled from Triple-A Iowa’s lineup on Sunday, and Cubs manager Craig Counsell confirmed postgame that his return is “under consideration” as the team heads to Miami to open a road trip.

Shaw, 23, began the 2025 season as the Cubs’ everyday third baseman, but after struggling to a .172 average and .535 OPS through 18 games, he was sent back to Triple-A to recalibrate. The message was clear: make adjustments and earn your way back. Since then, Shaw has done exactly that — and loudly.

Over his last 19 games with Iowa, Shaw is slashing .338/.437/.676 with a 1.112 OPS, six homers, 14 RBI, and more walks (12) than strikeouts (10). That surge hasn’t just been about the stats. It’s the how that has the Cubs encouraged.

“He went back down to work on some adjustments,” Cubs general manager Carter Hawkins said Sunday on Cubs Pregame Live. “Trying to tone himself down a little bit, get on time a little bit more effectively… and we’ve seen that over the last few games. The results have been pretty obvious.”

Matt Shaw likely to make his return to the Cubs

Star prospect to rejoin Cubs 'soon' after HR frenzy in minors
David Banks-Imagn Images

Related Chicago Cubs NewsArticle continues below

The key adjustment? A reworked leg kick. Shaw’s signature high leg lift was believed to be throwing off his timing against elite MLB velocity. After some initial hesitation, Shaw bought into making a more compact version of his leg kick. The difference has been evident. His timing has improved, he’s driving the ball with authority, and his exit velocities and hard-hit rates have jumped back to where they were during his rise through the minors.

The Cubs, meanwhile, have struggled to find answers at third base during his absence. Veterans Jon Berti, Nicky Lopez, and Vidal Bruján have combined for a wRC+ of 28 and -0.6 WAR since Shaw’s demotion — a glaring weakness in an otherwise potent lineup. With Shaw making visible progress and third base production plummeting, the timing for a call-up makes sense.

“We’re trying to win games, and we’re trying to put the player in a good position to succeed,” Counsell said. “There’s a time when we’re hopefully going to be able to say, ‘Yeah, it’s time to give this a shot again.’”

Sunday’s 6-2 win over the White Sox capped off a weekend dominated by the Cubs’ youth movement — from Pete Crow-Armstrong’s MVP-caliber performance to Cade Horton’s second career win to Moisés Ballesteros recording his first MLB hit. A Shaw return would be another step in that same direction.

The Cubs are playing winning baseball, but they know internal growth will be key for sustainability. With both developmental and competitive boxes checked, Shaw’s return to Wrigley looks imminent — and this time, he’s showing up ready to make a lasting impact.

Related Posts

🚨 EXCLUSIVE: QUEENS MASTER PLAN comes into focus as Carlos Mendoza lays out the New York Mets’ “ultimate goal” for 2026, a declaration that sends a jolt through a franchise determined to transform promise into real, lasting power. Insiders are dissecting every word while fans flood social platforms sensing a cultural reset built on urgency, accountability, and a refusal to settle for mediocrity. The tone has shifted, the stakes are rising, and if this vision takes hold, Queens could be marching toward a new era faster than anyone expected..ll 👇👇👇

Mets enter 2026 with sky-high expectations after massive roster overhaul and bold championship mandate from Carlos Mendoza 4 The New York Mets enter the 2026 season carrying…

🚨 CONFIRM: ROTATION RESET IN QUEENS takes shape as Carlos Mendoza, skipper of the New York Mets, delivers a key announcement on rising arm Tobias Myers that instantly shifts expectations for the club’s pitching blueprint. Insiders are breaking down the manager’s tone and timing while fans flood social platforms sensing that Myers may be stepping into a role far bigger than initially planned. Momentum is building fast, and if this decision sparks the surge Mets fans are hoping for, the complexion of New York’s rotation could change in a heartbeat..ll 👇👇👇

The funny thing about a blockbuster trade is how it blinds people. Everyone stares at the headline name, the strikeouts, the ace label, and misses the quieter…

🚨 REPORT: BULLPEN SHAKEUP IN QUEENS looms as the New York Mets are projected to cut ties with a $2.5 million World Series champion and nine time All Star closer to clear space for a retooled, Devin Williams–anchored relief corps. Insiders are buzzing about tough decisions, roster math, and a new identity built around swing-and-miss dominance, while fans flood social platforms debating whether this move marks the end of an era. The message is unmistakable: the Mets are prioritizing power, precision, and a modern bullpen structure — and the fallout could reshape their late game strategy overnight..ll 👇👇👇

Craig Kimbrel’s Mets Future in Doubt as New York Prioritizes Roster Efficiency Over Sentiment 4 The New York Mets have spent much of the offseason reconstructing their…

🚨 BOMBSHELL: QUEENS MELTDOWN brews as the New York Mets’ massive $40 million gamble is suddenly being labeled a potential bust, sparking waves of concern across a fanbase already on edge. Analysts are tearing apart advanced metrics while social platforms erupt with debates over whether this high priced experiment is collapsing faster than anyone expected. The pressure is spiking, and if this trend continues, the Mets may be staring at one of the most expensive misfires in recent franchise memory..ll 👇👇👇

Getty The New York Mets caught the attention of Bleacher Report, which identified Jorge Polanco as a significant potential bust in the upcoming 2025-26 free-agent class. This…

🚨 REPORT: MVP MANDATE drops in Los Angeles as Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Roberts publicly lays out sky high expectations for Mookie Betts, signaling that anything less than dominance won’t satisfy this clubhouse. Insiders are dissecting every word while fans flood social platforms debating whether this is motivation, pressure, or a calculated spark to ignite another historic campaign. The tone has been set, and if Betts answers the call, the rest of the National League may be bracing for a statement season unlike anything we have seen in years..ll 👇👇👇

Dave Roberts expects Mookie Betts to enter MVP conversation as Dodgers chase another title 4 As the Los Angeles Dodgers open spring training with ambitions of capturing…

🚨 EXCLUSIVE: FUTURE IN BLUE takes shape as the Los Angeles Dodgers quietly groom Emil Morales as the franchise’s next starting shortstop, a development that has scouts whispering about star level upside. Social platforms are lighting up with breakdowns of his footwork, bat speed, and poise beyond his years, fueling belief that a long term cornerstone may already be in the pipeline. The transition may not be immediate, but momentum is building fast, and the Dodgers’ next era up the middle could already be unfolding behind the scenes..ll 👇👇👇

Emil Morales emerges as the Dodgers’ highest-ranked infield prospect with star-level upside at shortstop 4 Within a Los Angeles Dodgers farm system overflowing with high-profile outfielders, one…