David Wright to be honored with number retirement and place in Mets Hall of Fame

PORT ST. LUCIE, FL - MARCH 22: Former New York Mets third baseman, David Wright during the 101st PGA Championship Ambassador Announcement at Mets Spring Training on March 22, 2019 in Port St. Lucie, Florida. (Photo by Eric Espada/Getty Images)

The moment Mets fans have been waiting for since 2018 will finally arrive July 19 when the club retires David Wright’s number and inducts him into the team hall of fame in a dual ceremony at Citi Field. The team released more details of the historic event Monday afternoon, confirming what the Daily News and others reported last month.

Mets owners Steve and Alex Cohen released a statement congratulating the team’s most recent captain.

“David Wright personified class on and off the field. David is the definition of a Met,” the owners said. “He grew up going to Mets Triple-A games in his hometown of Norfolk, Va., and was drafted by the organization in 2001. His spectacular career included seven All-Star appearances, two Gold Gloves and two Silver Slugger awards before he played an emotional final game in 2018.

“For a generation of Mets fans, he was their Tom Seaver, so it is a fitting tribute that only David and Tom have gone into the Mets Hall of Fame and had their number retired on the same day.”

No. 5 will become the 11th number taken out of circulation. Wright joins former Mets greats Tom Seaver, Mike Piazza, Jerry Koosman, Keith Hernandez, Willie Mays, Dwight Gooden and Darryl Strawberry, as well as late managers Gil Hodges and Casey Stengel, and Jackie Robinson, whose No. 42 is retired from all of Major League Baseball.

“Excited, humbled, honored are just some of the words to describe the thought of this summer’s Mets Hall of Fame induction and seeing No. 5 up at Citi Field next to some of the best players to ever play the game,” Wright said in a statement thanking the Cohens and the fans.

The former third baseman became one of the most prolific homegrown hitters in club history after being drafted by the Mets No. 38 overall in 2001 out of Hickory High School in Virginia. He  still leads the franchise in hits (1,777), RBI (970), runs (949), doubles (390), extra-base hits (658) and walks (762), he’s second in games played (1,585) and home runs (242), third in batting average (.296) and fourth in stolen bases (196) and on-base percentage (.376).

The fourth player ever to be named a captain for the Mets, Wright was an influential figure in the clubhouse throughout his 14-year career. His career was cut short due to spinal stenosis, a degenerative back condition that limited him to only 77 games over his final three seasons (2015-2018).

Wright was forced into retirement at the age of 35, saying goodbye to the only team he had ever known in an emotional ceremony at Citi Field on September 29, 2018. While Wright admitted that he wasn’t ready to stop playing, his body said otherwise.

Questions about his legacy followed with many wondering what he could have accomplished had he not suffered from back and neck injuries. But he had little left to prove after helping the Mets win a pennant in 2015 and putting together a body of work worthy of Hall of Fame votes.

Since retiring, Wright has remained with the organization as an ambassador, traveling to New York and Florida from his home in Los Angeles several times a year to fulfill various duties. Wright helps mentor prospects, aids in sponsorship events and even hosts the Battle of the Badges, the Mets’ annual charity game between members of the NYPD and NYFD.

“I can’t quite put into words the appreciation I have for the city of New York and Mets fans,” Wright said. “For 15 years I felt like I had 40,000 friends and family members in the stands each night. It was an honor of a lifetime taking the field as your captain and I truly feel like this honor is just as much yours as it is mine.”

Following the ceremony, the Mets will host the Cincinnati Reds at 4:10 p.m.

Related Posts

🚨 BOMBSHELL: The White Sox rotation battle just ignited as the club named its first four starters for Spring Training — and the final spot suddenly feels like a high-stakes showdown. With roles beginning to solidify, every outing from here on out carries real weight for pitchers fighting to stay in the mix. One strong stretch could lock in a future, while one stumble might slam the door shut.. 👇👇👇

Rotation Battle Begins as White Sox Reveal First Four Spring Starters The Chicago White Sox are less than 24 hours away from returning to game action, and…

🚨 BOMBSHELL: Braves’ Matt Olson just received a bold Hall of Fame statement from an ESPN writer — and the declaration is already igniting debate across baseball circles. What was once steady All-Star production is now being framed as a trajectory toward Cooperstown-level legacy. If Olson sustains this pace, the conversation may shift from “elite” to “all-time” sooner than expected.. 👇👇👇

Matt Olson’s Hall of Fame Momentum Is No Longer a Whisper in Atlanta 4 The Atlanta Braves enter the 2026 season with familiar expectations and familiar pressure,…

🚨 BOMBSHELL: Red Sox receive an impressive offseason grade despite losing Alex Bregman — and the unexpected praise is flipping the narrative around Boston’s front office. What looked like a major departure setback is now being reframed as disciplined strategy and calculated roster building. If the evaluators are right, the Red Sox may have upgraded without making the loudest splash.. 👇👇👇

Red Sox Earn “A” Offseason Grade Despite Losing Alex Bregman 4 The Boston Red Sox entered the 2026 offseason facing what many believed would be a defining…

🚨 BOMBSHELL: A forgotten Red Sox first-rounder is suddenly eyeing a big league roster spot — and the comeback buzz is building faster than anyone expected. Once overshadowed by injuries and prospect fatigue, he’s now flashing the tools that made him a top pick in the first place. If this resurgence is real, Boston’s depth chart could be in for a serious shakeup.. 👇👇👇

Forgotten First-Rounder Mikey Romero Targeting Surprise Red Sox Roster Spot 4 The Boston Red Sox have no shortage of headline prospects entering 2026, yet one former first-round…

🚨 BOMBSHELL: Yankees prospect Spencer Jones just made a major decision that could change everything — and the ripple effect might reach far beyond his own development timeline. What seemed like a routine career step is now being viewed as a bold pivot that could accelerate or redefine his path to the Bronx. If this gamble pays off, the Yankees may have fast-tracked a future cornerstone.. 👇👇👇

Spencer Jones’ Swing Overhaul Could Redefine His Yankees Future 4 For New York Yankees outfield prospect Spencer Jones, the 2026 season may represent more than another developmental…

🚨 BOMBSHELL: Healthy again, Cade Horton is eyeing a massive second season with the Chicago Cubs — and the confidence inside camp suggests this is more than routine optimism. After battling setbacks, the young arm is flashing the velocity and command that once made him untouchable. If durability finally matches his raw talent, Chicago’s rotation could gain a weapon opponents aren’t ready for.. 👇👇👇

Healthy Again, Cade Horton Aims to Anchor Cubs Rotation in Year Two 4 The Chicago Cubs enter the 2026 season with legitimate postseason ambitions, and the continued…