Report: Sánchez ready to do ‘whatever helps’ Orioles win in AL East return

BALTIMORE — After playing 10 seasons in the Major Leagues, Gary Sánchez has developed a lot of connections around baseball. The 32-year-old is already well traveled, having suited up for five organizations during his MLB career.

So when Sánchez was presented with an opportunity to sign with the Orioles this offseason, he reached out to a peer for insight — Baltimore infielder/outfielder Jorge Mateo.

Sánchez and Mateo both came up through the Yankees’ system, with their Minor League tenures overlapping from 2012-16. They were also teammates while playing for Toros del Este in the Dominican Winter League during the 2020-21 season.

What did Mateo have to tell Sánchez about the O’s?

“He just told me, ‘Man, there’s a lot of great people here. A lot of great teammates. We have a really good manager [Brandon Hyde],’” Sánchez said via Orioles team interpreter Brandon Quinones. “‘It’s an exciting time, and we have a lot of great chemistry here.’ So I thought that was obviously great to hear.”

It was also all that Sánchez needed to hear. The veteran backstop signed a one-year, $8.5 million deal with Baltimore last Tuesday, and he was introduced to the local media during a Zoom press conference a week later, getting a chance to express his excitement to join the O’s.

Sánchez will be taking over the backup catcher role that was previously held by James McCann (now a free agent) the past two years.

It should provide Sánchez with an opportunity to catch more than he did last season in Milwaukee, where he was only behind the plate for 234 2/3 innings over 28 games while serving as the backup to William Contreras.

Most of Sánchez’s playing time with the Brewers came as a designated hitter. His right-handed bat may not be as productive as it was early in his career — he was a two-time All-Star during his seven-year stint with the Yankees from 2015-21 — but it still has some pop. Sánchez hit 19 homers in 72 games with the Padres in ‘23, then 11 in 89 games for the Crew in ‘24.

Sánchez, who also has a little bit of experience at first base, will be ready to do whatever the Orioles ask of him in 2025.

“It’s the manager’s decision, and I leave it up to him,” Sánchez said. “If they want me to be the designated hitter, I’ll be more than happy to do that. If they want me to catch, I’ll do that as well. Even if they want to put me at first base, I’ll be more than happy to do that as well. So whatever helps the team win.”

Sánchez hasn’t made more than 58 starts at catcher in a season since 2022, when he had 80 for the Twins.

McCann made 54 starts for the O’s in ‘23 and 63 in ‘24, so Sánchez can likely expect a similar workload, as general manager Mike Elias indicated during the Winter Meetings that starting catcher Adley Rutschman would keep a similar schedule next year.

Rutschman, who has already earned two All-Star nods in his three-year MLB career, has emerged as one of baseball’s top catchers in recent seasons. Sánchez doesn’t yet have a relationship with the 26-year-old, but he’s looking forward to forming one in the spring.

“I think it’ll be a lot of fun, and I think I can really learn from him,” Sánchez said. “Just because someone spends a lot of time in the Major Leagues doesn’t mean that you can stop learning. So I’m looking forward to learning from him, and I’m looking forward to him learning from me as well and us working with each other.”

Sánchez is also eager to return to the American League East. He hasn’t played in the division since his Yankees tenure, but he knows what to expect — and knows that the Orioles (who have won 192 total games while reaching the postseason each of the past two years) are primed to contend for an AL East title and potentially more.

“I’m very excited. I’m looking forward to getting back out here,” Sánchez said. “I know the Orioles are a very competitive team. They’ve done a lot of great things these last couple of years, so I’m looking forward to joining the race again and being competitive.”

Related Posts

🔥 EXCLUSIVE SPRING OPENER SCOOP: White Sox @ Cubs – Full Lineups, Starters & Broadcast Details Revealed! White Sox lineup features Curtis Mead leading off at 3B, Kyle Teel catching, Austin Hays in LF, Munetaka Murakami at 1B – while Cubs counter with Jonathan Long 1B, Alex Bregman 3B, Seiya Suzuki CF! Cannon (RHP) vs Taillon (RHP) in a battle of righties – catch it on Marquee Sports Network (Cubs side), MLB.TV streaming, ESPN 1000 radio for Sox fans! Early highlights already popping – who’s stealing the show in Mesa? 👇

 The Chicago White Sox make their way to Sloan Park on Friday to officially begin Cactus League play, opening Spring Training against their crosstown rival, the Chicago…

⚾ SHOCKING INSIDER TAKE: ESPN Drops ‘Team-Friendly’ Bomb on Ronald Acuña Jr.’s Braves Future – Extension in Jeopardy? Buster Olney warns Atlanta’s front office won’t shell out mega-dollars for their MVP star beyond the current deal, sticking to their history of low-risk, team-friendly contracts only – if Acuña’s market value skyrockets post-injury recovery, could the Braves really let their franchise face walk or trigger “Plan B” sooner than fans think? 👇

The Atlanta Braves find themselves facing a quietly looming dilemma involving superstar outfielder Ronald Acuña Jr.. While the issue will not impact their immediate plans for the…

⚾ BLUNT WARNING DROPPED: Red Sox Front Office Issues Ice-Cold Ultimatum to Back-End Rotation – Shape Up or Ship Out! Boston’s brass just delivered a savage reality check to the shaky tail-end starters, hinting at zero patience for inconsistency as spring heats up – one more bad outing and jobs could vanish overnight! Is this the wake-up call that saves the season or the first sign of a brutal roster purge? 👇

The Boston Red Sox entered Spring Training this year with an uncharacteristic level of clarity near the top of their rotation but an equally intense sense of…

⚾ INTENSE BATTLE ALERT: Red Sox Refuse to Hand Marcelo Mayer the Infield Job – Brutal Spring Training Showdown Incoming! Boston’s front office drops a bombshell by keeping the infield wide open, forcing the top prospect to fight tooth-and-nail against vets and rising stars in camp – one bad week and his path to Fenway could slam shut forever! Is Mayer ready to dominate or will this test expose cracks in the hype? 👇

The Boston Red Sox arrived in Fort Myers this spring with more questions than answers, and at the center of that uncertainty stands top infield prospect Marcelo…

🔥 RAGE-BAIT EXPLOSION: Boone’s Weird Spring Lineup Against Orioles Has Yankees Nation in Full Panic Mode! Fans are losing their minds over the odd choices – no Judge cleanup, Volpe shifted, and prospects getting big at-bats – sparking endless hot takes and memes calling it a “disaster preview”! Could this be Boone trolling everyone or the first red flag of another disappointing year? 👇

New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone sparked an immediate wave of online criticism and heated discussion after unveiling his first Spring Training lineup against the Baltimore Orioles….

⚾ LUXURY LIFE ALERT: Cubs Star Pete Crow-Armstrong Drops $1.2M on Swanky Loop Condo – Chicago’s Newest Baller Move! The young outfield phenom just locked in a high-rise gem right in the heart of the Loop, complete with insane views and elite amenities – is this the ultimate sign he’s planting roots in Chicago for a monster long-term run with the Cubs? 👇

ENGLISH VERSION (Sports-Journalism Style, 1000+ words) Chicago Cubs center fielder Pete Crow-Armstrong made headlines off the field this winter, finalizing the purchase of a $1.195 million luxury…