🚨 BOMBSHELL: Chicago Cubs camp just delivered two major twists — Kevin Alcántara looks ready to explode after putting his injury behind him, while insiders warn a lockout now feels all but guaranteed. One storyline screams breakout optimism, the other signals looming chaos across the league. If both trends hold, Wrigley’s future could be shaped by momentum on the field and uncertainty off it.. 👇👇👇

MESA, Ariz. — Amid a whirlwind 36 hours within the Major League Baseball Players Association, new interim executive director Bruce Meyer and MLBPA personnel kicked off their annual spring training visits that brought them to the Chicago Cubs’ complex Wednesday afternoon.

Hours later, the MLBPA player board — comprised of 72 major- and minor-league players — unanimously appointed Meyer to his interim role and made Matt Nussbaum interim deputy executive director. Meyer replaces longtime union head Tony Clark, who abruptly resigned Tuesday.

“All of us on the staff are focused on what’s best for the union,” Meyer said. “At this point, we’ve all dedicated our careers to the union, to these players. … Whatever the players determine that’s in the best interest of the union, we are supportive internally. We are all rowing together and working as a team, and ultimately the players will make those decisions.”

The MLBPA met with Cubs players for more than an hour. Afterward, Meyer kept the topics of conversations with Cubs players private but acknowledged the issues baseball faces as the expiration of the league’s collective bargaining agreement looms in December.

“A lockout is all but guaranteed at the end of the agreement,” Meyer said. “The league has pretty much said that their strategy and bargaining has always been to put as much pressure on the players as they can to try and create divisions and cracks among our membership. It’s never worked. I don’t think it ever will work.”

An implementation of a salary cap is expected to be sought by the league in the next CBA.

Chicago Cubs notes from camp: Kevin Alcántara puts injury behind him — and a lockout ‘all but guaranteed’
MLB players association senior director Bruce Meyer answers a question at a news conference on March 11, 2022, in New York. (Richard Drew/AP)

“This is something they’ve always wanted,” Meyer said. “It’s not new. It appears they’re going to make a concerted push forward. Our union historically has been against it because we believe it’s quite simply not good for players. That position is not going to change.”

“We see what they say, what they’ve said in the media. You’ve seen really an uptick over the last year of owners coming out and talking about salary caps or the commissioner’s office, they don’t always use the words, but it’s very clear what they’re talking about.”

Kevin Alcántara eager to seize opportunity — and put injury behind him

Chicago Cubs notes from camp: Kevin Alcántara puts injury behind him — and a lockout ‘all but guaranteed’
Kevin Alcántara walks to a practice field before warming up during the first day of the Chicago Cubs full-squad workout at spring training at Sloan Park on Monday, Feb. 16, 2026, in Mesa, Ariz. (Armando L. Sanchez/Chicago Tribune)

Offseason surgery for a sports hernia has Kevin Alcántara fully healthy as he battles for a spot on the opening day roster as a backup outfielder.

Alcántara revealed on Wednesday that he had sustained the hernia injury last February and opted to play through the discomfort. Now pain-free, Alcántara acknowledged it was a tough injury to play through, but he wanted to remain available to the team. He put up strong numbers at Triple-A Iowa last year despite not being totally himself, producing a .266 average, 349 on-base percentage, .818 OPS with 26 doubles, 17 home runs and 69 RBIs in 102 games.

After appearing in just 10 games for the Cubs in 2025, Alcántara understands he might not get a lot of chances again this season. He experienced the playoffs by being on both of the Cubs’ postseason rosters.

“I need to be focused for whatever opportunity I have to do my job,” Alcántara said. “I was only thinking win. If I’m going to have my opportunity to help the team, I’ll help the team. That’s the only thing I think in this moment. I want to take advice from the old guys, what I need to do for me to have the opportunity over there, I take it.”

Starting pitchers announced for first two Cactus League games

Chicago Cubs notes from camp: Kevin Alcántara puts injury behind him — and a lockout ‘all but guaranteed’
Chicago Cubs pitcher Jameson Taillon participates in a discussion during the Cubs Convention at the Sheraton Grand Chicago Riverwalk on Jan. 17, 2026. (John J. Kim/Chicago Tribune)

The Cubs’ two starting pitchers playing in the World Baseball Classic are kicking off the team’s Cactus League schedule.

Right-hander Jameson Taillon is scheduled to start Friday’s exhibition opener against the White Sox at Sloan Park, while left-hander Matthew Boyd goes Saturday versus the Texas Rangers in another home spring game. Taillon (Canada) and Boyd (USA) are among the eight players on the Cubs’ 40-man roster who depart next week for the WBC.

Manager Craig Counsell wasn’t sure yet how many starting position players might be in the lineup this weekend, though Seiya Suzuki is expected to play in center field in the Cactus League before leaving for Tokyo on Monday to help prepare him to play that position with Japan.

“You’re more likely to see them than other people, other more veteran players that aren’t in the WBC, but kind of just individualizing that a little bit at the beginning,” Counsell said Wednesday of the team’s lineups. “Some guys won’t start for a couple days because I don’t think they need to, but the WBC guys all definitely have more urgency to get started.”

Related Posts

🚨 REPORT MOOKIE BETTS DECLARES HIS MVP MISSION AS THE DODGERS GEAR UP FOR A HISTORIC 2026 RUN, а bold vow thаt іnѕtаntly іntenѕіfіeѕ the рoѕtѕeаѕon rаce аnd ѕetѕ the tone for one of the moѕt аntіcіраted ѕeаѕonѕ іn frаnchіѕe hіѕtory. 👇👇

аѕ the 2026 MLB ѕeаѕon аррroаcheѕ lіke а mаѕѕіve ѕtorm, Mookіe Bettѕ, the verѕаtіle ѕuрerѕtаr of the Loѕ аngeleѕ Dodgerѕ, hаѕ offіcіаlly аnnounced hіѕ bіggeѕt goаl: to…

🚨 CONFIRM RED SOX SPEEDSTER IGNITES A 2026 TACTICAL REVOLUTION, DECLARING “I WILL BE THE FASTEST DESIGNATED HITTER THIS SEASON,” а bold vow thаt turnѕ а ѕіmрle ѕрrіng trаіnіng comment іnto а leаgue wіde converѕаtіon аbout ѕрeed, verѕаtіlіty, аnd Boѕton’ѕ evolvіng offenѕіve іdentіty. 👇👇

Whіle much of MLB’ѕ аttentіon іѕ focuѕed on ріtchіng, рower hіtterѕ, or technologіcаl аdvаncementѕ, one exceрtіonаl іndіvіduаl hаѕ ѕteррed out of the crowd wіth а ѕtаtement thаt…

🚨 BOMBSHELL: Yankees’ $4 million signing of a 17-year-old shortstop is already being labeled a backfire — and the early returns are raising uncomfortable questions in the Bronx. What once looked like a bold international splash now feels clouded by development concerns and mounting scrutiny. If the trajectory doesn’t change soon, this gamble could linger longer than anyone expected.. 👇👇👇

Yankees’ $4 Million Bet on Teenage Shortstop Now Facing Early Questions 4 When the New York Yankees committed nearly $4 million to a 17-year-old international shortstop, the…

🚨 EXCLUSIVE: QUEENS MASTER PLAN comes into focus as Carlos Mendoza lays out the New York Mets’ “ultimate goal” for 2026, a declaration that sends a jolt through a franchise determined to transform promise into real, lasting power. Insiders are dissecting every word while fans flood social platforms sensing a cultural reset built on urgency, accountability, and a refusal to settle for mediocrity. The tone has shifted, the stakes are rising, and if this vision takes hold, Queens could be marching toward a new era faster than anyone expected..ll 👇👇👇

Mets enter 2026 with sky-high expectations after massive roster overhaul and bold championship mandate from Carlos Mendoza 4 The New York Mets enter the 2026 season carrying…

🚨 CONFIRM: ROTATION RESET IN QUEENS takes shape as Carlos Mendoza, skipper of the New York Mets, delivers a key announcement on rising arm Tobias Myers that instantly shifts expectations for the club’s pitching blueprint. Insiders are breaking down the manager’s tone and timing while fans flood social platforms sensing that Myers may be stepping into a role far bigger than initially planned. Momentum is building fast, and if this decision sparks the surge Mets fans are hoping for, the complexion of New York’s rotation could change in a heartbeat..ll 👇👇👇

The funny thing about a blockbuster trade is how it blinds people. Everyone stares at the headline name, the strikeouts, the ace label, and misses the quieter…

🚨 REPORT: BULLPEN SHAKEUP IN QUEENS looms as the New York Mets are projected to cut ties with a $2.5 million World Series champion and nine time All Star closer to clear space for a retooled, Devin Williams–anchored relief corps. Insiders are buzzing about tough decisions, roster math, and a new identity built around swing-and-miss dominance, while fans flood social platforms debating whether this move marks the end of an era. The message is unmistakable: the Mets are prioritizing power, precision, and a modern bullpen structure — and the fallout could reshape their late game strategy overnight..ll 👇👇👇

Craig Kimbrel’s Mets Future in Doubt as New York Prioritizes Roster Efficiency Over Sentiment 4 The New York Mets have spent much of the offseason reconstructing their…