Boston Red Sox Manager Alex Cora joins AJ Pierzynski, Erik Kratz, and Scott Braun to discuss Boston’s offseason plans, Alex Bregman’s future, Craig Breslow’s approach, and where the Red Sox need to improve moving forward. Cora also shared more in-depth details on Ceddanne Rafaela’s role, Roman Anthony’s development, Aroldis Chapman’s return, and the club’s plans to maintain a positive performance after returning to the playoffs.

In a candid and engaging appearance on “The Foul Territory” podcast, Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora sat down with hosts AJ Pierzynski, Erik Kratz, and Scott Braun to unpack the highs and hurdles of the team’s 2025 season, while laying out an ambitious roadmap for the upcoming offseason. Fresh off a Wild Card berth that marked their return to the playoffs after a three-year absence, the Red Sox enter the winter with momentum but a clear-eyed recognition of the work ahead. Cora’s discussion, which aired on November 19, painted a picture of a franchise poised for sustained contention, blending optimism with pragmatic strategy.

The 89-73 Red Sox clinched a postseason spot but fell short in a swift three-game Wild Card exit, a disappointment that Cora described as “not good enough.” He emphasized that the brief taste of October only sharpened the team’s resolve. “Playing three games is not the goal,” Cora said, echoing sentiments from the season-ending press conference where he, chief baseball officer Craig Breslow, and team president Sam Kennedy outlined priorities. The club finished 15th in home runs with 186 and struggled with consistency in the middle of the lineup, issues Breslow has publicly targeted for improvement. Cora praised Breslow’s approach, calling it methodical yet bold. “He did an amazing job last year,” Cora noted, referencing the 2024-25 offseason splash that brought in All-Stars like third baseman Alex Bregman, starter Garrett Crochet, and reliever Aroldis Chapman. “Three All-Stars. Let him do the job.”

At the heart of the conversation was Bregman’s future, a storyline that has gripped Red Sox Nation since the 31-year-old opted out of the final two years of his three-year, $120 million contract. Bregman, who hit .273 with an .821 OPS, 18 homers, and 28 doubles in 114 games during 2025, provided defensive stability at third base and clubhouse leadership after being acquired to fill the void left by Rafael Devers’ midseason trade to the Phillies. Cora lauded Bregman’s fit in Fenway Park, where his pull-side power and low strikeout rate meshed seamlessly with the dimensions. “He’s a proven winner, a strong defender who fits this park really well,” Cora said, aligning with Breslow’s view that Bregman’s return would compound the lineup’s effectiveness. Yet, with Bregman entering free agency for the second straight winter amid interest from teams like the Phillies and Tigers, Cora tempered expectations. “We’ll let that play out,” he added, hinting at competition but underscoring the player’s intangible impact.

Breslow’s offseason blueprint, which Cora endorsed wholeheartedly, centers on two marquee additions: a top-of-the-rotation starter to pair with Crochet, the AL Cy Young runner-up, and a middle-of-the-order power bat. At the GM Meetings in Las Vegas, Breslow was unusually direct, stating the Red Sox “won’t be spending much time on No. 4 or 5 starters” and are “open to every conceivable path” to upgrade. He envisions one move via trade and another through free agency, potentially targeting names like Mets first baseman Pete Alonso for thump or Phillies shortstop Bo Bichette for infield versatility. Cora highlighted the need for compounding effects—a true middle-order threat that forces opponents to adjust, elevating the entire offense. “We didn’t slug as much as we can,” Cora agreed, pointing to Trevor Story’s team-leading 25 homers as a symptom of the power drought. Ownership’s commitment to the “window of contention” means resources aren’t an issue, with payroll projections around $210 million leaving room for aggressive spending.

Delving deeper into the roster, Cora provided reassuring updates on key young talents. Outfielder Ceddanne Rafaela, the 24-year-old Bahamian speedster who dazzled with Gold Glove-caliber defense and clutch hitting in 2025, will anchor center field “as long as possible.” Despite whispers of an infield shift to accommodate outfield logjams involving Jarren Duran, Wilyer Abreu, and rookie Roman Anthony, Cora shut down the idea. “He’s a game-changer out there,” Cora told Pierzynski, who probed the possibility. Rafaela’s 15th homer—a ninth-inning, two-run blast off Orioles reliever Keegan Akin in August—epitomized his late-season surge, helping Boston win six of seven on a pivotal road trip. Cora envisions Rafaela growing offensively while remaining the defensive cornerstone up the middle, a priority as the club navigates trades to thin the outfield depth.

Roman Anthony’s development emerged as a bright spot, with Cora detailing the 21-year-old phenom’s seamless integration. Called up midseason, Anthony contributed to late victories, including a key role in that Orioles series alongside Rafaela. “He’s pushing everyone,” Cora said, noting Anthony’s plate discipline and left-handed pop that could slot into left field or designated hitter duties. Extended long-term alongside peers like Brayan Bello and Kristian Campbell, Anthony represents the pipeline Breslow has fortified. Cora stressed a “live in the now” philosophy, balancing Anthony’s ascent with veterans like Masataka Yoshida, whose bat-only profile may lead to a trade.

No discussion would be complete without Aroldis Chapman, whose 2025 renaissance—marked by 26 saves and a career-best strikeout rate—earned him a second Mariano Rivera Award. The 37-year-old Cuban flamethrower, acquired on a flyer last winter, struck out the side in high-leverage spots, including that August save against Baltimore. Cora confirmed Chapman’s return via a one-year, $13.3 million extension with a mutual 2027 option. “He’s our closer, plain and simple,” Cora said, praising the lefty’s velocity and poise. The deal secures bullpen stability amid free-agent losses like Justin Wilson and Liam Hendriks, allowing Breslow to focus on a high-leverage lefty complement.

Looking ahead, Cora outlined plans to sustain the positive trajectory that propelled Boston back to relevance. The 2025 defense, lauded industry-wide despite early errors, improved markedly in the outfield, with Cora crediting buy-in from the group. Offensively, the emphasis is on health—Triston Casas’ knee recovery looms large—and depth, potentially platooning at first base if Alonso eludes them. “Continue to be aggressive like last year,” Cora urged, recalling Breslow’s “full throttle” promise fulfilled in 2024-25. With a young core led by Crochet and Anthony, and financial flexibility, the Red Sox aim not just for playoffs but division dominance.

As the hot stove heats up, Cora’s podcast chat leaves fans buzzing with possibility. The Bregman saga will dominate headlines, but Breslow’s transparency—coupled with Cora’s tactical insight—signals a winter of calculated risks. After tasting October’s thrill, Boston isn’t content with cameos. The mission: transform promise into parades.

Related Posts

🔥 EXCLUSIVE SPRING OPENER SCOOP: White Sox @ Cubs – Full Lineups, Starters & Broadcast Details Revealed! White Sox lineup features Curtis Mead leading off at 3B, Kyle Teel catching, Austin Hays in LF, Munetaka Murakami at 1B – while Cubs counter with Jonathan Long 1B, Alex Bregman 3B, Seiya Suzuki CF! Cannon (RHP) vs Taillon (RHP) in a battle of righties – catch it on Marquee Sports Network (Cubs side), MLB.TV streaming, ESPN 1000 radio for Sox fans! Early highlights already popping – who’s stealing the show in Mesa? 👇

 The Chicago White Sox make their way to Sloan Park on Friday to officially begin Cactus League play, opening Spring Training against their crosstown rival, the Chicago…

⚾ SHOCKING INSIDER TAKE: ESPN Drops ‘Team-Friendly’ Bomb on Ronald Acuña Jr.’s Braves Future – Extension in Jeopardy? Buster Olney warns Atlanta’s front office won’t shell out mega-dollars for their MVP star beyond the current deal, sticking to their history of low-risk, team-friendly contracts only – if Acuña’s market value skyrockets post-injury recovery, could the Braves really let their franchise face walk or trigger “Plan B” sooner than fans think? 👇

The Atlanta Braves find themselves facing a quietly looming dilemma involving superstar outfielder Ronald Acuña Jr.. While the issue will not impact their immediate plans for the…

⚾ BLUNT WARNING DROPPED: Red Sox Front Office Issues Ice-Cold Ultimatum to Back-End Rotation – Shape Up or Ship Out! Boston’s brass just delivered a savage reality check to the shaky tail-end starters, hinting at zero patience for inconsistency as spring heats up – one more bad outing and jobs could vanish overnight! Is this the wake-up call that saves the season or the first sign of a brutal roster purge? 👇

The Boston Red Sox entered Spring Training this year with an uncharacteristic level of clarity near the top of their rotation but an equally intense sense of…

⚾ INTENSE BATTLE ALERT: Red Sox Refuse to Hand Marcelo Mayer the Infield Job – Brutal Spring Training Showdown Incoming! Boston’s front office drops a bombshell by keeping the infield wide open, forcing the top prospect to fight tooth-and-nail against vets and rising stars in camp – one bad week and his path to Fenway could slam shut forever! Is Mayer ready to dominate or will this test expose cracks in the hype? 👇

The Boston Red Sox arrived in Fort Myers this spring with more questions than answers, and at the center of that uncertainty stands top infield prospect Marcelo…

🔥 RAGE-BAIT EXPLOSION: Boone’s Weird Spring Lineup Against Orioles Has Yankees Nation in Full Panic Mode! Fans are losing their minds over the odd choices – no Judge cleanup, Volpe shifted, and prospects getting big at-bats – sparking endless hot takes and memes calling it a “disaster preview”! Could this be Boone trolling everyone or the first red flag of another disappointing year? 👇

New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone sparked an immediate wave of online criticism and heated discussion after unveiling his first Spring Training lineup against the Baltimore Orioles….

⚾ LUXURY LIFE ALERT: Cubs Star Pete Crow-Armstrong Drops $1.2M on Swanky Loop Condo – Chicago’s Newest Baller Move! The young outfield phenom just locked in a high-rise gem right in the heart of the Loop, complete with insane views and elite amenities – is this the ultimate sign he’s planting roots in Chicago for a monster long-term run with the Cubs? 👇

ENGLISH VERSION (Sports-Journalism Style, 1000+ words) Chicago Cubs center fielder Pete Crow-Armstrong made headlines off the field this winter, finalizing the purchase of a $1.195 million luxury…