Mike McCarthy Makes Declaration on Cowboys’ Running Back Hierarchy for Rest of Season

The Dallas Cowboys offense has sputtered of late, and with Dak Prescott out due to a season-ending hamstring surgery, even more of the offensive workload will be thrust upon the running backs corps.

That workload will now be allotted more to one individual, Mike McCarthy said on Thursday. Despite having used a committee of running backs throughout the first half of the season, McCarthy declared that Rico Dowdle would be the Cowboys’ lead running back for the rest of the campaign.

“Definitely, you have to get him the ball. That’s my focus to continue to get him opportunities. He’s the lead back,” said McCarthy of Dowdle, via Clarence Hill Jr. of ALLDLLS.

Of course, that puts Ezekiel Elliott firmly in a backup role in his return to Dallas. The 29-year-old has averaged a career-low 6.8 attempts per game this season, and that figure could decrease further still. Elliott is averaging 3.2 yards per carry and has not topped 50 yards in a single game this season, while scoring just two rushing touchdowns. Elliott had previously expressed concerns over his limited role in the offense, but it seems that Dowdle figures to take an even larger stranglehold over the backfield.

Dowdle is averaging 4.5 yards per carry and is toting the ball 10.4 times per game. He is also more impactful than Elliott in the passing game. Although he’s not rushed for a touchdown, he’s caught three TD passes and has 24 receptions on the year.

Related Posts

🚨 BREAKING JUST 30 MINUTES AGO, THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS OFFICIALLY WELCOMED BACK A LEGEND TO TAKE OVER AS THEIR DEFENSIVE COACH — A STUNNING HOMECOMING THAT HAS STEELERS NATION ERUPTING WITH EMOTION AND SKY-HIGH EXPECTATIONS FOR A NEW ERA IN THE BLACK AND GOLD. 👇👇

BReаKіNG NeWѕ: ѕteelerѕ Welcome Bаck а Frаnchіѕe Legend аѕ Defenѕіve Coаch іn а рowerful move thаt echoeѕ the ѕteel Curtаіn trаdіtіon, the ріttѕburgh ѕteelerѕ hаve offіcіаlly welcomed bаck Hаll…

🚨 REPORT CONGRATULATIONS TO PATRICK MAHOMES — THE NFL ICON HAS BEEN NAMED TO TIME MAGAZINE’S LIST OF THE 100 MOST INFLUENTIAL PEOPLE IN SPORTS, BUT IT’S THE UNTOLD STORY BEHIND THIS HONOR THAT HAS EVERYONE TALKING, а behіnd-the-ѕceneѕ journey thаt’ѕ ѕраrkіng more buzz thаn the heаdlіne іtѕelf. 👇👇

CONGRаTULаTіONѕ: NFL іcon раtrіck Mаhomeѕ Nаmed аmong TіMe Mаgаzіne’ѕ 100 Moѕt іnfluentіаl рeoрle іn ѕрortѕ — But іt’ѕ the Untold ѕtory Behіnd Thіѕ Mіleѕtone Thаt Hаѕ everyone…

🚨 REPORT COWBOYS’ $136 MILLION ALL-PRO RECEIVER SHOCKS THE NFL BY TURNING DOWN BIGGER OFFERS FROM THE CHARGERS AND BEARS — CHOOSING LOYALTY TO DALLAS EVEN AS THE PLAYOFF COLLAPSE STILL STINGS, а loyаlty move thаt hаѕ the leаgue buzzіng аnd fаnѕ іn dіѕbelіef. 👇👇

Home Uncаtegorіzed Cowboyѕ’ $136 Mіllіon аll-рro Receіver ѕhockѕ NFL by Rejectіng Bіgger Offerѕ From Chаrgerѕ аnd Beаrѕ, Chooѕeѕ Loyаlty to Dаllаѕ аmіd рlаyoff Collарѕe іn а leаgue obѕeѕѕed wіth…

🚨 BREAKING DAK PRESCOTT REPORTEDLY TURNS DOWN A $1 MILLION SPONSORSHIP OFFER FROM A MAJOR FLORIDA AGRICULTURAL CORPORATION, a shocking power move that has fans buzzing and insiders scrambling to understand the quarterback’s bold stance. 👇👇

BREAKING NEWS: Dak Prescott has reportedly turned down a $1 million sponsorship deal from a major Florida agricultural corporation BREAKING reports claim Dak Prescott rejected a one…

🚨 REPORT PATRICK MAHOMES’ INCREDIBLE JOURNEY IS FINALLY COMING HOME TO THE SCREEN IT DESERVES, а long-аwаіted moment thаt trаnѕformѕ hіѕ rіѕe from Texаѕ рrodіgy to NFL ѕuрerѕtаr іnto а ѕtory the whole world wіll ѕoon wіtneѕѕ. 👇👇

1. а ѕtory Kаnѕаѕ Cіty Hаѕ Been Wаіtіng For аt 10:04 а.m., the аnnouncement rіррled through Kаnѕаѕ Cіty lіke а рerfectly thrown ѕріrаl cuttіng through wіnter аіr….

🔥 BREAKING | A JARRING ROSTER SHOCK HITS TEXAS AS THE Dallas Cowboys OFFICIALLY MOVE ON FROM Logan Wilson IN A CUT THAT SENDS A WAVE OF UNCERTAINTY THROUGH THE ENTIRE DEFENSE. Insiders across every major platform are racing to decode the cold timing and deeper intent behind this sudden shake-up. Fans erupt online as whispers spread that this move could trigger an even more dramatic restructuring inside Dallas..ll 👇👇👇

The Dallas Cowboys made their first official personnel decision of the 2026 offseason when they released veteran linebacker Logan Wilson, ending a short-lived tenure that began with…