Red Sox ace explains why pitching in All-Star Game ‘just didn’t make sense’

BOSTON — Red Sox ace Garrett Crochet originally wanted to pitch in next Tuesday’s All-Star Game in Atlanta after being selected to the American League roster for the second straight year. After further consideration, however, he pulled himself out of the game.

Crochet, who was replaced on the AL’s active roster by Detroit’s Casey Mize on Friday, said the decision was workload-based. The lefty has already logged 120 ⅓ innings (tied for the MLB lead) over 19 starts for the Red Sox this year and on Saturday, will make his final start of the first half against the Rays.

Advertisement

“For me, it’s just looking at my past four years,” Crochet said. “In 2022, I threw zero innings. In ‘23, I threw 13. Last year, I threw 146 and this year I’m on pace for 200. From my standpoint, it makes no sense to make that 201 to throw in a game that doesn’t determine my team’s fate throughout the season.

“Especially because we’re looking at the postseason,” he continued. “If I threw 20 innings in the postseason, I’m almost 100 innings over last year which was over 100 innings above the year prior. It just didn’t make sense to me.”

Crochet said his decision may have been different if he was on four days rest. After getting an extra day this week before pitching Saturday, he’d be going on three days rest in Atlanta. It was important to Crochet, he said, that the All-Star break represents “an actual break” this time around.

Crochet will still travel to Atlanta along with teammates Alex Bregman (who also won’t play) and Aroldis Chapman early next week. But unlike last year, when he pitched a scoreless fourth inning at Globe Life Field, he will watch from the dugout.

Advertisement

“It’s a huge honor to be there,“ Crochet said. ”I threw last year with it being my first one. If I were to go next year, I would probably throw. But just with the way my continued growth is, and my workload ceiling, I’d rather not add to it.”

More Red Sox coverage

Read the original article on MassLive.

Related Posts

Braves add John Brebbia, Nathan Wiles to bullpen

Atlanta adds two arms while sending Austin Cox and Wander Suero back to Triple-A.

Boston Red Sox release Walker Buehler, make three other roster moves

The Red Sox have released right-handed pitcher Walker Buehler who signed a one-year, $21.05 million contract with Boston last December.

Yankees Get Unfortunate Prediction on Cody Bellinger’s Free Agency Decision

An insider predicts Cody Bellinger may not return to the New York Yankees, casting doubt on the team’s plans as free agency approaches.

Cubs’ Pete Crow-Armstrong part of MLB hitters swinging at first pitches at high rate

Pete Crow-Armstrong is ready to go. He’s one of the kings of swinging at the first pitch — and they have some company.

Breаkіng: Red Sox releаѕe Wаlker Buehler аfter bullрen move

The Red Sox have released Walker Buehler, who lost his spot in the starting rotation and had been demoted to the bullpen.

Cubѕ’ Pete Crow-Armѕtrong раrt of MLB hіtterѕ ѕwіngіng аt fіrѕt ріtcheѕ аt hіgh rаte

Pete Crow-Armstrong is ready to go. He’s one of the kings of swinging at the first pitch — and they have some company.