Braves hitting coach downplays dreadful Michael Harris II slump

Michael Harris II is just three years removed from winning the National League Rookie of the Year award with the Atlanta Braves, and just last year, he hit a respectable .264 with an OPS right around the league average. That’s why his woeful offensive numbers this year are so shocking — and why Braves hitting coach Tim Hyers is optimistic he can turn it around.

“I think if he can hold his posture, clean up a few things mechanically and then get back to getting balls in the strike zone, I think this thing can turn around in a heartbeat,” Hyers said, via Mark Bowman’s Braves Beat newsletter. “He has it in him. He’s super talented.”

Harris has shown that talent before, particularly as a rookie when he hit for an .853 OPS. Through 82 games in 2025, however, he is hitting .212 with a should-be-impossible .238 on-base percentage, largely due to a 3.1 percent walk rate. His OPS+ is only 55 and he has a 50 wRC+.

His troubles have only compounded in June. Since the start of the month, he is hitting .148 with 25 strikeouts, no walks and four extra-base hits. To make matters worse, the Braves are 9-14 in that time and fading out of contention fast.

Article Continues Below“I’ve had times in the past where I was struggling, but came out of a little quicker than right now,” Harris said. “So yeah, us losing and being in this situation isn’t the best. But, still got three months left.”

Harris also admitted that plate discipline has been a problem. Aside from his inability to draw walks, which has never been his strength, his hard-hit rate is down 7 percent from last year, his ground ball rate is up 3 percent and his barrel rate is down almost 4 percent.

“I mean, mechanics are going to be there,” he said. “They’re not going to change that much. You just have to lock it in on what location you want and look for something you can hit.”

As Harris makes things harder for himself, his opponents aren’t doing him any favors. He is also seeing fewer pitches in the strike zone (49 percent vs. 51.5 percent last year) and his chase rate has jumped almost three points with it.


Russell Steinberg covers Major League Baseball and the New York Liberty for ClutchPoints. A baseball and basketball lifer, he has written for Boardroom, SLAM, SB Nation, The Next, and more. He graduated from NYU in 2012 and still returns to serve as PA announcer and occasional broadcaster for the school’s basketball and volleyball teams.

Related Posts

💥 BREAKING NEWS: Franklin Arias Was Suddenly Pulled From The Game After Trevor Story’s Injury Scare — And Now Red Sox Nation Is Holding Its Breath, Wondering If Boston’s No. 1 Prospect Is About To Be Thrown Into The Spotlight

Red Sox fans were celebrating a hard-fought 3-2 win over the top-ranked Atlanta Braves on Saturday when a bombshell dropped from Double-A Portland — their No. 1…

🚨 BREAKING BOSTON DESPERATELY NEEDS A SPARK — After a frustrating start filled with offensive struggles, the Red Sox are now counting on one infielder to finally break out at the plate before the season begins slipping away, with pressure building fast inside Fenway Park 👀🔥👇👇👇

PRESSURE BUILDING IN BOSTON: RED SOX DESPERATELY NEED CALEB DURBIN TO WAKE UP OFFENSIVELY BEFORE SEASON SLIPS FURTHER AWAY The growing frustration surrounding the Boston Red Sox…

🚨 BREAKING PANIC IS GROWING IN THE BRONX — Yankees ace Max Fried has reportedly made a worrying admission about his injury situation, instantly sending concern through New York as fans fear the team’s championship hopes could already be facing a serious threat before the season reaches its most important stretch 👀💔👇👇👇

Getty Max Fried and Aaron Boone confer in the dugout as the Yankees navigate Fried’s uncertain injury recovery timeline following his IL placement with a left elbow…

🚨 BREAKING MATTHEW BOYD UPDATE JUST CHANGED THE MOOD IN CHICAGO — The latest injury news surrounding Matthew Boyd is already grabbing the attention of Cubs fans everywhere, with growing belief that the veteran left-hander’s situation could have a major impact on Chicago’s pitching plans moving forward 👀🔥👇👇👇

The Chicago Cubs have been without Matthew Boyd in the starting rotation since he was placed on the 15-day IL on May 6. After being given a…

🚨 BREAKING ANOTHER MAJOR BLOW HITS BOSTON — Red Sox fans are anxiously searching for answers after Trevor Story’s sudden injury situation reportedly forced the veteran infielder toward the injured list, creating fresh concern about the stability of Boston’s infield at a critical point in the season 👀💔👇👇👇

RED SOX DISASTER GROWS: TREVOR STORY HEADED TO INJURED LIST AS BOSTON’S NIGHTMARE SEASON CONTINUES TO SPIRAL The nightmare season for the Boston Red Sox just took…

🚨 BREAKING PAUL O’NEILL JUST TOUCHED THE HEART OF NEW YORK — Yankees legend Paul O’Neill has reportedly donated $300,000 to a cancer relief fund in an emotional gesture that is bringing the Bronx to tears, with fans everywhere deeply moved after his powerful words: “I understand what that pain feels like…” 👀💔👇👇👇

In a moment that silenced the baseball world, Paul O’Neill — a legend associated with the golden age of the New York Yankees — announced a $300,000…