Chicago White Sox, Cubs Complete Trade With Infielder Gage Workman

CHICAGO – The White Sox acquired infielder Gage Workman from the Cubs in exchange for cash considerations. In a corresponding move, the White Sox designated Nick Maton for assignment.

The Cubs designated Workman, 25, for assignment on April 23. After making his MLB debut on March 29, the left-handed batter recorded three hits, two RBI, one stolen base, one walk and six strikeouts across 15 plate appearances. The Cubs selected Workman from Detroit in December’s Rule 5 Draft.

Workman was previously in the Tigers’ minor league system from 2021-24 after being selected in the fourth round of the 2020 MLB Draft out of Arizona State. Across 126 games in Double-A in 2024, Workman had 18 home runs, 89 RBI, 30 stolen bases, 65 walks and 153 strikeouts. His slash line was .280/.366/.476/.843.

“He was in a tough spot,” Cubs manager Craig Counsell said Saturday. “I think Rule 5 picks are always in a tough spot, especially on this team and kind of the expectations of this team. In a lot of ways, you could say he did not get the appropriate opportunity, we just couldn’t give him that opportunity. You just have to learn from every experience, and that’s what I kind of told him. Just because it wasn’t a good experience doesn’t mean it’s not going to help you in your next experience. I think overall this was a good experience for him, but when you’re delivering that message it’s bad news. But if he uses this experience in the right way, it’s gonna make him a better baseball player and he’s gonna be a major leaguer. I was very confident that he was gonna be a major leaguer after that conversation and wished him the best. He’s a good kid, and he’s got talent.”

Workman played shortstop, second base, third base and right field during his time with the Tigers and Cubs. In 2024, he played 74 games at third base and 47 at shortstop. That versatility could be useful for the White Sox. Miguel Vargas has played the most games at third base, 23, but three others have played there this season. Four players have also gotten time at shortstop, with Jake Amaya leading the way with 21 games.

MLB.com’s scouting report raves about Workman’s defense.

“One of the best defensive third basemen in the Minors, he has incredibly smooth actions for someone who stands 6-foot-4, and he also comes with quick feet and hands and plus arm strength. He’s capable of playing a solid shortstop, and also has seen action at second base and right field.”

Workman replaces Maton, who served as a utility man for the White Sox in 14 games this season and saw time at first base, second base, left field and designated hitter. In 61 plate appearances, he had two home runs, four RBI, nine walks, 18 strikeouts and a .173/.295/.327/.622 slash line.

Related Posts

🚨 BREAKING BOSTON DESPERATELY NEEDS A SPARK — After a frustrating start filled with offensive struggles, the Red Sox are now counting on one infielder to finally break out at the plate before the season begins slipping away, with pressure building fast inside Fenway Park 👀🔥👇👇👇

PRESSURE BUILDING IN BOSTON: RED SOX DESPERATELY NEED CALEB DURBIN TO WAKE UP OFFENSIVELY BEFORE SEASON SLIPS FURTHER AWAY The growing frustration surrounding the Boston Red Sox…

🚨 BREAKING PANIC IS GROWING IN THE BRONX — Yankees ace Max Fried has reportedly made a worrying admission about his injury situation, instantly sending concern through New York as fans fear the team’s championship hopes could already be facing a serious threat before the season reaches its most important stretch 👀💔👇👇👇

Getty Max Fried and Aaron Boone confer in the dugout as the Yankees navigate Fried’s uncertain injury recovery timeline following his IL placement with a left elbow…

🚨 BREAKING MATTHEW BOYD UPDATE JUST CHANGED THE MOOD IN CHICAGO — The latest injury news surrounding Matthew Boyd is already grabbing the attention of Cubs fans everywhere, with growing belief that the veteran left-hander’s situation could have a major impact on Chicago’s pitching plans moving forward 👀🔥👇👇👇

The Chicago Cubs have been without Matthew Boyd in the starting rotation since he was placed on the 15-day IL on May 6. After being given a…

🚨 BREAKING ANOTHER MAJOR BLOW HITS BOSTON — Red Sox fans are anxiously searching for answers after Trevor Story’s sudden injury situation reportedly forced the veteran infielder toward the injured list, creating fresh concern about the stability of Boston’s infield at a critical point in the season 👀💔👇👇👇

RED SOX DISASTER GROWS: TREVOR STORY HEADED TO INJURED LIST AS BOSTON’S NIGHTMARE SEASON CONTINUES TO SPIRAL The nightmare season for the Boston Red Sox just took…

🚨 BREAKING PAUL O’NEILL JUST TOUCHED THE HEART OF NEW YORK — Yankees legend Paul O’Neill has reportedly donated $300,000 to a cancer relief fund in an emotional gesture that is bringing the Bronx to tears, with fans everywhere deeply moved after his powerful words: “I understand what that pain feels like…” 👀💔👇👇👇

In a moment that silenced the baseball world, Paul O’Neill — a legend associated with the golden age of the New York Yankees — announced a $300,000…

Gіаntѕ Predіcted To End Fаіled Rаfаel Deverѕ Exрerіment

іMаGe: аtlаntа Brаveѕ cаtcher ѕeаn Murрhy (12) lookѕ аt the ѕаn Frаncіѕco Gіаntѕ dugout аfter beіng hіt by а ріtch іn the fіrѕt іnnіng аt Truіѕt раrk….