New York Mets manager Carlos Mendoza said Wednesday that Frankie Montas has begun a throwing program, Tim Healey of Newsday reports. Montas was cleared to play catch from 60 feet as he begins a throwing progression. It’s the first time the right-hander has thrown since he was diagnosed with a high-grade right lat strain in mid-February.
“Everything is good from that end,” Mendoza said.
The Mets originally announced that Montas would be shut down from throwing for six-to-eight weeks. Montas, who received a PRP injection as part of his treatment, just passed the six-week mark of that timeline. That would put him on track to return sometime in May or June, assuming no setbacks.
Frankie Montas Begins Throwing Program
Montas signed a two-year, $34 million contract with the Mets this offseason that includes an opt-out. The injury makes it less likely Montas will opt out, though with a healthy return and strong finish to the season, free agency could be tempting. The nine-year veteran has a 4.09 ERA, averaging 9.2 strikeouts per nine innings. Montas had a 4.84 ERA with 148 strikeouts in 150 1/3 innings with the Cincinnati Reds and Milwaukee Brewers last year.
With Montas sidelined, the Mets rotation looks like this: Kodai Senga, David Peterson, Clay Holmes, Paul Blackburn, Tylor Megill and Griffing Canning.
The Mets’ pitching staff has been dominant to start 2025, posting a 2.36 ERA (third in the National League) and a 1.07 WHIP (fifth in the NL), while allowing just 11 earned runs—the second-fewest in the league. However, their 44 strikeouts rank 11th in the NL.
With their strong start to the season, the Mets’ pitching staff looks poised to remain a key strength, especially with Montas taking positive strides in his recovery. As he works his way back, his eventual return could provide an additional boost to an already impressive rotation heading into 2025.