The Boston Red Sox landed their ace this offseason, acquiring pitcher Garrett Crochet in a trade with the Chicago White Sox.
The team has now locked down the 25-year-old, giving him a big extension and then making a five-word statement on his future with the team.
The team announced on April 1 that they finalized a six-year contract extension with Crochet. MLB.com’s Mark Feinsand reported that the deal is worth $170 million.
Red Sox chief baseball officer Craig Breslow said he wasn’t sure whether the deal would come together, but found common ground with the pitcher and finalized it this week.
“I was thinking that there was a decent probability that we were going to need to pick up these conversations next offseason,” Breslow said. “Fortunately, I think we both recognized that there could be common ground here, and it wouldn’t take a ton, given all of the legwork that had been created. And so in the end, we were able to get this over the line in a way that came together pretty quickly.”
The Red Sox took to social media to celebrate the news, delivering a succinct message on Breslow’s status.
“Crochet is here to stay,” read the team’s post on X.
Crochet’s new deal runs through 2031, including an opt-out after the 2030 season. His contract includes up to $2 million per year in escalators starting in 2027 based on his finish in the Cy Young voting.