Looking ahead to 2026 Baseball Hall of Fame: Why next year’s ballot helps Carlos Beltran

NEW YORK – Beyond his incredible baseball skills, Ichiro Suzuki was a source of wonder to his teammates – from his pregame stretching routine to his in-game quirks.

“One of the craziest things was, if he slid and got dirt all over his uniform, he’d come in and change everything, down to his cleats,’’ said CC Sabathia, speaking before Tuesday’s Hall of Fame call.

On the diamond, “he had to be clean and pristine,’’ Sabathia said of his teammate on the 2012-14 Yankees, following Ichiro’s prime years with the Seattle Mariners.

“He was so much fun to be around.’’

Sabathia, Ichiro and Billy Wagner are now linked in the Hall of Fame class of 2025, joining Dave Parker and the late Dick Allen, who were elected by the Classic Baseball Era Committee.

Appearing on their first Baseball Writers’ Association ballot, Ichiro missed being a unanimous selection by one vote (394 ballots were submitted) and Sabathia received 86.8 percent.

On his 10th and final BBWAA ballot, Wagner received 82.5 percent, after having missed in 2024 by just five votes (75 percent is required for election).

Looking ahead to 2026 Baseball Hall of Fame vote

New York Mets center fielder (15) Carlos Beltran is congratulated by catcher (11) Ramon Castro after hitting a 3-run home run in the 3rd inning against the Toronto Blue Jays on June 25, 2005, at the Rogers Centre.

On his third writers’ ballot this year, Carlos Beltran missed election by 19 votes.

Having jumped from 57.1 percent of support in 2024 to 70.3 percent, Beltran is very likely to get the Cooperstown call next January.

Beltran’s candidacy has been dragged by his association with the Houston Astros’ electronic sign stealing scandal, the only player named in MLB’s report.

One of the game’s best all-around switch-hitters, and an elite center fielder, Beltran became one of five players in MLB history to collect at least 500 doubles, 400 homers and 300 stolen bases.

It could also be the year for fellow center fielder (owner of 10 Gold Glove awards) Andruw Jones, who moved up from 61.6 percent to 66.2 percent in 2025, as he moves to his ninth ballot.

Players trending upward toward Baseball Hall of Fame

Chase Utley’s Hall of Fame candidacy is trending upward, having received 39.8 percent on his second ballot – an improvement over last year’s 28.8 percent.

As a second baseman, the current voting block is finding Utley’s case – despite never reaching 2,000 hits, no Gold Glove Awards or top five MVP finishes – more compelling than that of Jeff Kent, the all-time home run leader at the position who topped out at 46.5 percent.

Kent dropped off the writers’ ballot after the 2023 voting.

In his seventh year on the ballot, Andy Pettitte saw his support jump from 13.5 percent last year to 27.9 percent, while “King’’ Felix Hernandez debuted at 20.6 percent.

For a starting pitcher, Hernandez’s first ballot is in line with Mike Mussina, who debuted at 20.3 percent and was eventually elected on his sixth ballot.

Hall of Fame fates of Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez

Oct 18, 2024; New York City, New York, USA; Fox News playoff baseball commentator Alex Rodriguez before the game between the New York Mets and the Los Angeles Dodgersduring game five of the NLCS for the 2024 MLB playoffs at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-Imagn Images

The electorate is pretty set on Alex Rodriguez and Manny Ramirez never getting in, due to PED suspensions.

Moving into his final year on the writers’ ballot, Ramirez’s support is at 34.3 percent, while A-Rod – on his fourth ballot – is at 37.1 percent.

At this point, A-Rod – who was banned by MLB for the 2014 season – hasn’t approached the support of Barry Bonds, who reached 66 percent before dropping off the writers’ ballot.

Bonds and Rogers Clemens were also rejected in their first appearance on a veterans’ committee ballot.

Similarly, perennial Gold Glove shortstop Omar Vizquel is going nowhere, essentially stuck at the same level (17.8 percent) since disturbing allegations of abuse surfaced.

New to the 2026 Baseball Hall of Fame ballot

Oct 9, 2024; New York, New York, USA; New York Mets former pitcher Bartolo Colon catches the ceremonial first pitch from Daniel Murphy before game four of the NLDS for the 2024 MLB Playoffs against the Philadelphia Phillies at Citi Field. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-Imagn Images

Further aiding the candidacies of Beltran and Jones in 2026 is the lack of any compelling Hall-of-Fame cases on the upcoming ballot.

According to the Hall of Fame, next year’s first-time eligibles include Ryan Braun, Shin-Soo Choo, Cole Hamels, Edwin Encarnacion, Daniel Murphy, Howie Kendrick, Hunter Pence and Nick Markakis.

That could also provide more support for the current candidacies of Bobby Abreu (19.5 percent), Jimmy Rollins (18 percent), Dustin Pedroia (11.9 percent) and David Wright (8.1 percent).

Related Posts

🚨 EXCLUSIVE: QUEENS MASTER PLAN comes into focus as Carlos Mendoza lays out the New York Mets’ “ultimate goal” for 2026, a declaration that sends a jolt through a franchise determined to transform promise into real, lasting power. Insiders are dissecting every word while fans flood social platforms sensing a cultural reset built on urgency, accountability, and a refusal to settle for mediocrity. The tone has shifted, the stakes are rising, and if this vision takes hold, Queens could be marching toward a new era faster than anyone expected..ll 👇👇👇

Mets enter 2026 with sky-high expectations after massive roster overhaul and bold championship mandate from Carlos Mendoza 4 The New York Mets enter the 2026 season carrying…

🚨 CONFIRM: ROTATION RESET IN QUEENS takes shape as Carlos Mendoza, skipper of the New York Mets, delivers a key announcement on rising arm Tobias Myers that instantly shifts expectations for the club’s pitching blueprint. Insiders are breaking down the manager’s tone and timing while fans flood social platforms sensing that Myers may be stepping into a role far bigger than initially planned. Momentum is building fast, and if this decision sparks the surge Mets fans are hoping for, the complexion of New York’s rotation could change in a heartbeat..ll 👇👇👇

The funny thing about a blockbuster trade is how it blinds people. Everyone stares at the headline name, the strikeouts, the ace label, and misses the quieter…

🚨 REPORT: BULLPEN SHAKEUP IN QUEENS looms as the New York Mets are projected to cut ties with a $2.5 million World Series champion and nine time All Star closer to clear space for a retooled, Devin Williams–anchored relief corps. Insiders are buzzing about tough decisions, roster math, and a new identity built around swing-and-miss dominance, while fans flood social platforms debating whether this move marks the end of an era. The message is unmistakable: the Mets are prioritizing power, precision, and a modern bullpen structure — and the fallout could reshape their late game strategy overnight..ll 👇👇👇

Craig Kimbrel’s Mets Future in Doubt as New York Prioritizes Roster Efficiency Over Sentiment 4 The New York Mets have spent much of the offseason reconstructing their…

🚨 BOMBSHELL: QUEENS MELTDOWN brews as the New York Mets’ massive $40 million gamble is suddenly being labeled a potential bust, sparking waves of concern across a fanbase already on edge. Analysts are tearing apart advanced metrics while social platforms erupt with debates over whether this high priced experiment is collapsing faster than anyone expected. The pressure is spiking, and if this trend continues, the Mets may be staring at one of the most expensive misfires in recent franchise memory..ll 👇👇👇

Getty The New York Mets caught the attention of Bleacher Report, which identified Jorge Polanco as a significant potential bust in the upcoming 2025-26 free-agent class. This…

🚨 REPORT: MVP MANDATE drops in Los Angeles as Los Angeles Dodgers manager Dave Roberts publicly lays out sky high expectations for Mookie Betts, signaling that anything less than dominance won’t satisfy this clubhouse. Insiders are dissecting every word while fans flood social platforms debating whether this is motivation, pressure, or a calculated spark to ignite another historic campaign. The tone has been set, and if Betts answers the call, the rest of the National League may be bracing for a statement season unlike anything we have seen in years..ll 👇👇👇

Dave Roberts expects Mookie Betts to enter MVP conversation as Dodgers chase another title 4 As the Los Angeles Dodgers open spring training with ambitions of capturing…

🚨 EXCLUSIVE: FUTURE IN BLUE takes shape as the Los Angeles Dodgers quietly groom Emil Morales as the franchise’s next starting shortstop, a development that has scouts whispering about star level upside. Social platforms are lighting up with breakdowns of his footwork, bat speed, and poise beyond his years, fueling belief that a long term cornerstone may already be in the pipeline. The transition may not be immediate, but momentum is building fast, and the Dodgers’ next era up the middle could already be unfolding behind the scenes..ll 👇👇👇

Emil Morales emerges as the Dodgers’ highest-ranked infield prospect with star-level upside at shortstop 4 Within a Los Angeles Dodgers farm system overflowing with high-profile outfielders, one…