What If Vladimir Guerrero Jr. Does Become Available Via Trade?

Prior to the Kyle Tucker acquisition, Cubs fans were circling all-star first baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr. as a potential trade target this offseason. Now with Tucker in the fold, daydreaming about Guerrero has been replaced with coming up with trades for starting pitchers, but if you’re still holding onto hope that the right-handed slugger could be available there is an update on his extension talks with the Blue Jays.

Guerrero, 25, recently had an interview with Abriendo Sports and revealed that he has had contract extension talks with Toronto this offseason. Two big things came from these discussions. First, Guerrero said the Blue Jays’ offer was way below what he would consider signing for.

Via MLBTR.

Guerrero reiterated that he has interest in staying in Toronto, and is “ready to go” in signing an extension if the Jays meet his asking price.  However, “what they offered me is not even close to what I’m looking for,” Guerrero said, noting that Toronto’s most recent offer was worth around $340 million.

Second, the first baseman has informed the Blue Jays that they have until the beginning of spring training to negotiate an extension. If a deal is not agreed to by then, Guerrero said he’s ending the talks. Of course, if the two sides are close, but a contract hasn’t been signed, it’s doubtful that he would completely walk away from the table.

However, I’m sure teams wanting to add another star bat to their team will be monitoring these talks between Guerrero and the Blue Jays. There’s a decent chance that if Toronto feels they won’t be able to retain Guerrero, then they’ll finally be open to trading him away. The slugger will become a free agent following the 2025 season and although he may only be a first baseman, at 26-years-old next offseason Guerrero would be in line for a huge contract if he does indeed hit free agency.

Would it make sense for the Cubs to engage in trade talks if Guerrero does become available? It would be a decent-sized haul for the Blue Jays, but you would also expect the cost to be below that of the Juan Soto trade from last offseason between the Yankees and Padres.

Earlier in the offseason, an MLB Network analyst suggested a trade proposal between the Cubs and Blue Jays that would send Guerrero to Chicago. Again, things look completely different now with the addition of Tucker and the trade of Cody Bellinger. Yet, the Cubs are still looking for a difference-maker in the starting rotation and in Anthony Castrovince’s trade idea, Toronto would also send one of their veteran starters along with Guerrero.

Would it make sense for the Cubs to add in Seiya Suzuki in a trade along with top prospects for Guerrero? Keep in mind that he will be a free agent following the 2025 season and the focus now seems to be on retaining Tucker beyond next season.

But how about having two cracks at locking in a longterm star if the Cubs somehow involve themselves in a Guerrero trade? OK, now I’m getting way too ahead of myself. Let’s see what his status is when spring training arrives in February.

Related Posts

🔥 EXCLUSIVE SPRING OPENER SCOOP: White Sox @ Cubs – Full Lineups, Starters & Broadcast Details Revealed! White Sox lineup features Curtis Mead leading off at 3B, Kyle Teel catching, Austin Hays in LF, Munetaka Murakami at 1B – while Cubs counter with Jonathan Long 1B, Alex Bregman 3B, Seiya Suzuki CF! Cannon (RHP) vs Taillon (RHP) in a battle of righties – catch it on Marquee Sports Network (Cubs side), MLB.TV streaming, ESPN 1000 radio for Sox fans! Early highlights already popping – who’s stealing the show in Mesa? 👇

 The Chicago White Sox make their way to Sloan Park on Friday to officially begin Cactus League play, opening Spring Training against their crosstown rival, the Chicago…

⚾ SHOCKING INSIDER TAKE: ESPN Drops ‘Team-Friendly’ Bomb on Ronald Acuña Jr.’s Braves Future – Extension in Jeopardy? Buster Olney warns Atlanta’s front office won’t shell out mega-dollars for their MVP star beyond the current deal, sticking to their history of low-risk, team-friendly contracts only – if Acuña’s market value skyrockets post-injury recovery, could the Braves really let their franchise face walk or trigger “Plan B” sooner than fans think? 👇

The Atlanta Braves find themselves facing a quietly looming dilemma involving superstar outfielder Ronald Acuña Jr.. While the issue will not impact their immediate plans for the…

⚾ BLUNT WARNING DROPPED: Red Sox Front Office Issues Ice-Cold Ultimatum to Back-End Rotation – Shape Up or Ship Out! Boston’s brass just delivered a savage reality check to the shaky tail-end starters, hinting at zero patience for inconsistency as spring heats up – one more bad outing and jobs could vanish overnight! Is this the wake-up call that saves the season or the first sign of a brutal roster purge? 👇

The Boston Red Sox entered Spring Training this year with an uncharacteristic level of clarity near the top of their rotation but an equally intense sense of…

⚾ INTENSE BATTLE ALERT: Red Sox Refuse to Hand Marcelo Mayer the Infield Job – Brutal Spring Training Showdown Incoming! Boston’s front office drops a bombshell by keeping the infield wide open, forcing the top prospect to fight tooth-and-nail against vets and rising stars in camp – one bad week and his path to Fenway could slam shut forever! Is Mayer ready to dominate or will this test expose cracks in the hype? 👇

The Boston Red Sox arrived in Fort Myers this spring with more questions than answers, and at the center of that uncertainty stands top infield prospect Marcelo…

🔥 RAGE-BAIT EXPLOSION: Boone’s Weird Spring Lineup Against Orioles Has Yankees Nation in Full Panic Mode! Fans are losing their minds over the odd choices – no Judge cleanup, Volpe shifted, and prospects getting big at-bats – sparking endless hot takes and memes calling it a “disaster preview”! Could this be Boone trolling everyone or the first red flag of another disappointing year? 👇

New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone sparked an immediate wave of online criticism and heated discussion after unveiling his first Spring Training lineup against the Baltimore Orioles….

⚾ LUXURY LIFE ALERT: Cubs Star Pete Crow-Armstrong Drops $1.2M on Swanky Loop Condo – Chicago’s Newest Baller Move! The young outfield phenom just locked in a high-rise gem right in the heart of the Loop, complete with insane views and elite amenities – is this the ultimate sign he’s planting roots in Chicago for a monster long-term run with the Cubs? 👇

ENGLISH VERSION (Sports-Journalism Style, 1000+ words) Chicago Cubs center fielder Pete Crow-Armstrong made headlines off the field this winter, finalizing the purchase of a $1.195 million luxury…