Mets make ‘so much sense’ for this ace, insider says | But it could cost Mark Vientos

A photo of Mark Vientos.

The New York Mets made the offseason’s biggest splash by signing star right fielder Juan Soto to a record-setting deal, but most of their other moves have lacked excitement, fortifying their depth and the fringes of the roster, including in the rotation.

While offseason signings Frankie Montas, Clay Holmes and Griffin Canning raise the floor of their starting staff, the Mets still crave a top-of-the-rotation pitcher, which is currently led by Kodai Senga. If president of baseball operations David Stearns prefers to avoid paying top dollar for pitchers in their 30s, there’s a trade he could make for one who will come at a bargain salary, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney.

“(Luis Castillo) makes so much sense for me, for the Mets,” Olney said on Wednesday’s “Baseball Tonight” podcast. “You look at the Mets, and how it feels like they need to do a lot more with this starting pitching. They’ve got this large group of position player prospects. And now, to me is the time where maybe you can talk to the Mariners about one of those guys.”

Castillo would be an excellent addition. But at Olney’s price?

“Mark Vientos. And I don’t know what the Mets’ response to that would be because Vientos looked so good down the stretch for a couple months,” Olney said. “But that, to me would be one potential ask for the Mariners — like I could see him being a guy that Mariners would be excited about because he’d plug and play, he’d be in the big leagues right away.”

Report Alden Gonzalez said, “I like that one,” though he thinks the Boston Red Sox offering first baseman Tristan Cosas would be better.

Vientos’ breakout — after some yo-yo’ing to start his career — transformed the Mets’ lineup. He posted a 135 OPS+ in the regular season thanks to 27 home runs, 77 RBIs and a .266/.322/.837 line. And he came up even bigger in the postseason with a .327/.362/.638 line and a team-high five home runs and 14 RBIs.

The 25-year-old has cemented himself as an important middle-of-the-lineup piece, though he’s not much more than that. His defense at third base is suspect, and he’s a very slow runner, forcing a move to first base (or even designated hitter) in the next couple of years. Would that reality entice Stearns to take advantage of his breakout season now for an ace like Castillo? If he did, it would mean holes at first and third base and newfound aggressiveness in the free agent market for players like Alex Bregman (third base) and Pete Alonso or Christian Walker (first base).

Still, in Olney’s trade, the Mets would acquire an ace for at least the next three years at $22.75 million annually, per Cot’s Contracts, which is well below market value. Lefty Max Fried, who is younger and better, got eight years and $218 million from the New York Yankees this offseason.

Castillo has pitched at least 160 innings in five seasons, and he has a career 3.56 ERA. Last year, the second-worst of his career, he posted a 3.64 ERA and 1.17 WHIP across 175 1/3 innings. He had 175 strikeouts.

Is the 32-year-old worth Vientos?

Related Posts

LOS ANGELES LOCKS IN ON A DEFINING DUEL as rising infielder Hyeseong Kim emerges as the centerpiece of the Los Angeles Dodgers second-base battle, with momentum and expectation converging around why he must seize the job to solidify the club’s evolving identity. Insiders describe his presence as “a stabilizing spark,” signaling that his blend of defense, range, and electric rhythm could anchor one of the league’s most demanding infield roles. Energy around the Dodgers intensifies as every indication suggests this position fight may shape the tone, chemistry, and competitive ceiling of L.A.’s season..ll 👇👇👇

When news broke that Tommy Edman wasn’t going to be available to start Opening Day for the Los Angeles Dodgers at second base, it created a very…

LOS ANGELES STIRRED BY A RAW REVELATION as Jazz Chisholm Jr. unleashes an unfiltered, razor-sharp take on his arrival with the Los Angeles Dodgers, delivering comments so direct they immediately send ripples through the clubhouse atmosphere. Insiders describe his tone as “refreshingly blunt yet unmistakably charged,” hinting that the star’s mindset could redefine the early dynamics of L.A.’s new era. Momentum surges around the Dodgers as every word he dropped adds fuel to a storyline already buzzing with intensity..ll 👇👇👇

On August 25, 2025, at Yankee Stadium, Jazz Chisholm Jr. launched a two-run home run and celebrated joyfully in the dugout, but nearly a year later, he…

NEW YORK IGNITES BLOCKBUSTER ENERGY as a daring trade concept surfaces that positions the New York Yankees to potentially land the $45 million All-Star ace from the Oakland Athletics, a move insiders say could flip the entire AL power map overnight. Front-office buzz hints at a “franchise-tilting scenario,” with the proposed deal carrying the kind of weight that reshapes rotations and rivalries instantly. Momentum builds in the Bronx as every signal points toward a blueprint bold enough to redefine New York’s championship ambitions..ll 👇👇👇

The New York Yankees will open the 2026 season with a rotation held together by Max Fried, Cam Schlittler, and Luis Gil as they await the return…

NEW YORK BRACES FOR A SPRING FLASHPOINT as the long-awaited showdown between the New York Yankees and the New York Mets locks in its official start time, turning the countdown into something far more serious than a routine preseason date. Early clues emerging from both dugouts hint at tension and unease simmering beneath the surface, suggesting this matchup may expose deeper storylines than anyone expected. And with game day closing in fast, the essentials you must know before first pitch are starting to paint a far more dramatic picture than the spring calendar implies..ll 👇👇👇

Yankees vs. Mets at George M. Steinbrenner Field Spring Training Clash on February 23, 2026 – Form, Tactical Assessment, Expert Insight, and Corrected Lineups The arrival of…

🔥 EXCLUSIVE | A SHOCKING BEHIND-THE-SCENES REVELATION ERUPTS AS A former Orioles manager CLAIMS THE Atlanta Braves “RESCUED” HIM FROM HIS TURBULENT TENURE WITH THE Baltimore Orioles, SENDING RAW EMOTION RIPPLING THROUGH THE LEAGUE. Insiders across every platform are scrambling to unpack the true weight of his stunning confession. Fans ignite social feeds as whispers rise that this revelation could reopen an entire era of buried tension and unspoken conflict 👇👇👇

Former interim Tony Mansolino left little ambiguity about his feelings toward the Baltimore Orioles when reflecting on last season, describing his move to the Atlanta Braves as…

🔥 BREAKING | A MAJOR ROSTER TREMOR HITS BOSTON AS THE Boston Red Sox CLOSE IN ON A MASSIVE DECISION INVOLVING BOTH Marcelo Mayer AND Caleb Durbin, SENDING SHOCKWAVES THROUGH THE PROSPECT LADDER. Insiders across every platform are racing to decode how this looming call could reshape Boston’s infield future for years. Fans light up social feeds as whispers surge that the organization may be preparing for one of its biggest youth-movement pivots yet 👇👇👇

Red Sox ‘Close’ to Major Marcelo Mayer–Caleb Durbin Infield Decision The Boston Red Sox entered spring training with an unusual amount of roster uncertainty, particularly within the…