Chicago Cubs ‘ready to move forward’ with Sammy Sosa after the slugger’s public apology for past ‘mistakes’

The Chicago Cubs are welcoming Sammy Sosa back to the organization following the slugger’s public apology for past “mistakes.”

Sosa released a statement Thursday, paving the way for the former National League MVP, who has been estranged from the organization since he left the Cubs after the 2004 season. Sosa had been linked to performance-enhancing drugs (PEDs) but long denied his involvement.

“I understand why some players in my era don’t always get the recognition that our stats deserve,” Sosa, 56, said in the statement. “There were times I did whatever I could to recover from injuries in an effort to keep my strength up to perform over 162 games. I never broke any laws, but in hindsight, I made mistakes and I apologize.

“We can’t change the past, but the future is bright. In my heart, I have always been a Cub and I can’t wait to see Cubs fans again.”

Following the apology, Chairman Tom Ricketts announced the team had invited Sosa to next month’s Cubs Convention.

“We appreciate Sammy releasing his statement and for reaching out,” Ricketts said in a statement. “No one played harder or wanted to win more. Nobody’s perfect but we never doubted his passion for the game and the Cubs.

“It is an understatement to say that Sammy is a fan favorite. … We are all ready to move forward together.”

Sosa captured national attention in the summer of 1998 as he and the St. Louis Cardinals’ Mark McGwire chased Roger Maris’ single-season home run record. The feat memorably was broken when McGwire hit No. 62 against the Cubs in St. Louis en route to setting the new mark (70). Sosa went on to slug 66 home runs and earned NL MVP honors, the 10th Cub to win the award at the time.

But for as much as Sosa is remembered for his prodigious power in a Cubs uniform and being part of the memorable 1998 and 2003 teams, his career wasn’t without controversy.

In June 2003, Sosa was caught using a corked bat when it cracked during an at-bat. Although he claimed it was a batting-practice bat he accidentally grabbed, he was suspended for seven games. He ended his Cubs career by leaving Wrigley Field during the game on the final day of the 2004 season. His boom box was left behind at his locker and subsequently smashed by a teammate.

Sosa was among the major-league players and executives who testified during a hearing in front of the House Committee on Government Reform in 2005 as Congress attempted to pressure MLB to toughen its steroid and PED policy. During the testimony, Sosa denied ever taking illegal PEDs.

After Thursday’s statements, all that now remains in the past for the two sides.

“Cubs fans are the best in the world,” Sosa said in Thursday’s statement, “and I hope that fans, the Cubs and I can all come together again and move forward.”

Want more Rockies news? Sign up for the Rockies Insider to get all our MLB analysis.

Originally Published:

Related Posts

🚨 REPORT MOOKIE BETTS DECLARES HIS MVP MISSION AS THE DODGERS GEAR UP FOR A HISTORIC 2026 RUN, а bold vow thаt іnѕtаntly іntenѕіfіeѕ the рoѕtѕeаѕon rаce аnd ѕetѕ the tone for one of the moѕt аntіcіраted ѕeаѕonѕ іn frаnchіѕe hіѕtory. 👇👇

аѕ the 2026 MLB ѕeаѕon аррroаcheѕ lіke а mаѕѕіve ѕtorm, Mookіe Bettѕ, the verѕаtіle ѕuрerѕtаr of the Loѕ аngeleѕ Dodgerѕ, hаѕ offіcіаlly аnnounced hіѕ bіggeѕt goаl: to…

🚨 CONFIRM RED SOX SPEEDSTER IGNITES A 2026 TACTICAL REVOLUTION, DECLARING “I WILL BE THE FASTEST DESIGNATED HITTER THIS SEASON,” а bold vow thаt turnѕ а ѕіmрle ѕрrіng trаіnіng comment іnto а leаgue wіde converѕаtіon аbout ѕрeed, verѕаtіlіty, аnd Boѕton’ѕ evolvіng offenѕіve іdentіty. 👇👇

Whіle much of MLB’ѕ аttentіon іѕ focuѕed on ріtchіng, рower hіtterѕ, or technologіcаl аdvаncementѕ, one exceрtіonаl іndіvіduаl hаѕ ѕteррed out of the crowd wіth а ѕtаtement thаt…

🚨 BOMBSHELL: Yankees’ $4 million signing of a 17-year-old shortstop is already being labeled a backfire — and the early returns are raising uncomfortable questions in the Bronx. What once looked like a bold international splash now feels clouded by development concerns and mounting scrutiny. If the trajectory doesn’t change soon, this gamble could linger longer than anyone expected.. 👇👇👇

Yankees’ $4 Million Bet on Teenage Shortstop Now Facing Early Questions 4 When the New York Yankees committed nearly $4 million to a 17-year-old international shortstop, the…

🚨 BOMBSHELL: Chicago Cubs camp just delivered two major twists — Kevin Alcántara looks ready to explode after putting his injury behind him, while insiders warn a lockout now feels all but guaranteed. One storyline screams breakout optimism, the other signals looming chaos across the league. If both trends hold, Wrigley’s future could be shaped by momentum on the field and uncertainty off it.. 👇👇👇

MESA, Ariz. — Amid a whirlwind 36 hours within the Major League Baseball Players Association, new interim executive director Bruce Meyer and MLBPA personnel kicked off their…

🚨 EXCLUSIVE: QUEENS MASTER PLAN comes into focus as Carlos Mendoza lays out the New York Mets’ “ultimate goal” for 2026, a declaration that sends a jolt through a franchise determined to transform promise into real, lasting power. Insiders are dissecting every word while fans flood social platforms sensing a cultural reset built on urgency, accountability, and a refusal to settle for mediocrity. The tone has shifted, the stakes are rising, and if this vision takes hold, Queens could be marching toward a new era faster than anyone expected..ll 👇👇👇

Mets enter 2026 with sky-high expectations after massive roster overhaul and bold championship mandate from Carlos Mendoza 4 The New York Mets enter the 2026 season carrying…

🚨 CONFIRM: ROTATION RESET IN QUEENS takes shape as Carlos Mendoza, skipper of the New York Mets, delivers a key announcement on rising arm Tobias Myers that instantly shifts expectations for the club’s pitching blueprint. Insiders are breaking down the manager’s tone and timing while fans flood social platforms sensing that Myers may be stepping into a role far bigger than initially planned. Momentum is building fast, and if this decision sparks the surge Mets fans are hoping for, the complexion of New York’s rotation could change in a heartbeat..ll 👇👇👇

The funny thing about a blockbuster trade is how it blinds people. Everyone stares at the headline name, the strikeouts, the ace label, and misses the quieter…