REPORT: Shohei Ohtani Opens Up on Contract Deferrals, Reveals Promise Dodgers Made to Him

Shohei Ohtani Opens Up on Contract Deferrals, Reveals Promise Dodgers Made to Him

Why Shohei Ohtani agreed to historic Dodgers deferrals

When Shohei Ohtani signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers on a 10-year, $700 million deal last year, the baseball world was sent into a frenzy.

The Dodgers, who had dominated the National League West for the last decade but had just one shortened-season World Series victory to show for it, were adding arguably the greatest free agent ever to the largest free agent contract in MLB history.

That, alone, was enough to set the baseball world on fire. Then, the contract details emerged. Ohtani was deferring $680 million of the $700 million, paying him just $2 million per season for the 10 years he would play in L.A.

Dodgers Fan Favorite Fuels Nolan Arenado to LA Trade Rumors While non-Dodger fans were outraged by the contract, it was later revealed that Ohtani and his agent, Nez Balelo, offered that same structure to every team who wanted to sign him.

In fact, it was Ohtani’s idea. Almost a year after he signed the richest contract in MLB history, Ohtani spoke to Bob Nightengale of USA Today in an exclusive interview, where he spoke about those deferrals and the “promise” he and the Dodgers made to each other.

“You know, Mark (Walter), Andrew (Friedman), the owners, we all made a promise to each other that we would go out and create the best team to put out on the field,” Ohtani said.

“And we were able to win the World Series, so in that sense we were able to keep our promise towards each other.”

While winning the World Series was the ultimate goal, the Dodgers organization isn’t stopping there. The team signed one of the best free agents available this offseason in two-time Cy Young award winner Blake Snell to a five-year, $182 million deal (of course, with some deferred money).

They’re also in the midst of a $100 million renovation at Dodger Stadium.

Ohtani is taking notice of it all. “I know they’re renovating the field right now, putting in even more resources to sign possibly other players,” Ohtani said. “So it was refreshing and rewarding to know that we all did our part to help the Dodgers win the World Series.”

Balelo noted Ohtani’s “unselfishness,” and applauded him for having his vision come to fruition. “I don’t think we’ll ever see this type of unselfishness in an athlete to give up as much as he did,” Balelo said to Nightengale.

“It was a huge splash in the industry that’s never been done before to that level. It was very, very important to Shohei not to hamstring an organization.

He just said, ‘What would happen if we defer all or part of that salary? I’m fine financially.’ “It was important to him to allow the Dodgers to ultimately be competitive year after year and go out and be able to sign players to bring together a championship-caliber team. That was really his ultimate goal here.”

In year one, Ohtani and the Dodgers have already succeeded. However, the goal isn’t just to win one World Series. It’s to create a dynasty.

And for all the fans complaining about deferrals, Dodgers CEO Stan Kasten said this isn’t anything new.

Related Posts

🔥 EXCLUSIVE SPRING OPENER SCOOP: White Sox @ Cubs – Full Lineups, Starters & Broadcast Details Revealed! White Sox lineup features Curtis Mead leading off at 3B, Kyle Teel catching, Austin Hays in LF, Munetaka Murakami at 1B – while Cubs counter with Jonathan Long 1B, Alex Bregman 3B, Seiya Suzuki CF! Cannon (RHP) vs Taillon (RHP) in a battle of righties – catch it on Marquee Sports Network (Cubs side), MLB.TV streaming, ESPN 1000 radio for Sox fans! Early highlights already popping – who’s stealing the show in Mesa? 👇

 The Chicago White Sox make their way to Sloan Park on Friday to officially begin Cactus League play, opening Spring Training against their crosstown rival, the Chicago…

⚾ SHOCKING INSIDER TAKE: ESPN Drops ‘Team-Friendly’ Bomb on Ronald Acuña Jr.’s Braves Future – Extension in Jeopardy? Buster Olney warns Atlanta’s front office won’t shell out mega-dollars for their MVP star beyond the current deal, sticking to their history of low-risk, team-friendly contracts only – if Acuña’s market value skyrockets post-injury recovery, could the Braves really let their franchise face walk or trigger “Plan B” sooner than fans think? 👇

The Atlanta Braves find themselves facing a quietly looming dilemma involving superstar outfielder Ronald Acuña Jr.. While the issue will not impact their immediate plans for the…

⚾ BLUNT WARNING DROPPED: Red Sox Front Office Issues Ice-Cold Ultimatum to Back-End Rotation – Shape Up or Ship Out! Boston’s brass just delivered a savage reality check to the shaky tail-end starters, hinting at zero patience for inconsistency as spring heats up – one more bad outing and jobs could vanish overnight! Is this the wake-up call that saves the season or the first sign of a brutal roster purge? 👇

The Boston Red Sox entered Spring Training this year with an uncharacteristic level of clarity near the top of their rotation but an equally intense sense of…

⚾ INTENSE BATTLE ALERT: Red Sox Refuse to Hand Marcelo Mayer the Infield Job – Brutal Spring Training Showdown Incoming! Boston’s front office drops a bombshell by keeping the infield wide open, forcing the top prospect to fight tooth-and-nail against vets and rising stars in camp – one bad week and his path to Fenway could slam shut forever! Is Mayer ready to dominate or will this test expose cracks in the hype? 👇

The Boston Red Sox arrived in Fort Myers this spring with more questions than answers, and at the center of that uncertainty stands top infield prospect Marcelo…

🔥 RAGE-BAIT EXPLOSION: Boone’s Weird Spring Lineup Against Orioles Has Yankees Nation in Full Panic Mode! Fans are losing their minds over the odd choices – no Judge cleanup, Volpe shifted, and prospects getting big at-bats – sparking endless hot takes and memes calling it a “disaster preview”! Could this be Boone trolling everyone or the first red flag of another disappointing year? 👇

New York Yankees manager Aaron Boone sparked an immediate wave of online criticism and heated discussion after unveiling his first Spring Training lineup against the Baltimore Orioles….

⚾ LUXURY LIFE ALERT: Cubs Star Pete Crow-Armstrong Drops $1.2M on Swanky Loop Condo – Chicago’s Newest Baller Move! The young outfield phenom just locked in a high-rise gem right in the heart of the Loop, complete with insane views and elite amenities – is this the ultimate sign he’s planting roots in Chicago for a monster long-term run with the Cubs? 👇

ENGLISH VERSION (Sports-Journalism Style, 1000+ words) Chicago Cubs center fielder Pete Crow-Armstrong made headlines off the field this winter, finalizing the purchase of a $1.195 million luxury…