
Corey Seager Addresses Semien Trade, Says Relationship Was “Professional” as Rangers Turn the Page
The Texas Rangers are turning the page on a championship era, and one of the biggest changes heading into 2026 is up the middle. Marcus Semien, the veteran second baseman and one half of the Rangers’ star-studded double-play duo, is now a New York Met. That leaves shortstop Corey Seager with a new partner-and plenty of questions about what went down behind the scenes.
Reports have surfaced suggesting there may have been friction between Seager and Semien, both All-Stars and key pieces of the Rangers’ 2023 World Series title. But Seager, speaking Monday from Rangers camp in Surprise, Arizona, pushed back on that narrative.
“I think that’s things that are in-house that people don’t know about, right?” Seager said.
“That’s just all speculation. Me and Marcus had a fine relationship.
We both respected each other, we were both professional, and we knew how to go about our business and try to accomplish a goal. And we did that in ‘23.
So, like I said, you can’t take that away from us.”
It’s a measured response from a player who’s been in the spotlight for most of his career-and who knows how to navigate it. Seager, now 31, isn’t just a five-time All-Star and two-time World Series MVP; he’s the heartbeat of the Rangers’ infield. And whatever the dynamics were behind closed doors, the results on the field in 2023 were undeniable.
Since joining Texas, Seager has slashed .278 with 117 home runs over four seasons. Even while battling injuries last year and being limited to 102 games, he still managed to hit .271 with 21 homers and 50 RBIs. When healthy, he’s as complete a shortstop as there is in the game.
Semien, now 35, brought his own pedigree to the table. A three-time All-Star, he provided power and durability during his Texas tenure, hitting .249 with 93 home runs across four seasons.
Last year, he posted a .230 average with 15 homers and 62 RBIs in 127 games. But with age, performance, and perhaps clubhouse dynamics in play, the Rangers made a move.
Texas shipped Semien to the Mets in exchange for outfielder Brandon Nimmo, a 10-year vet who’s coming off a career-high 25 homers and a .262 batting average. It’s a shift in priorities-swapping a cornerstone infielder for an experienced outfield bat-and it opens the door for 28-year-old Josh Smith to take over at second base.
Smith, entering his fifth season with the Rangers, hit .251 with 10 home runs and 35 RBIs last year. He’s not the same kind of headline-grabber as Semien, but the opportunity is there for him to step into a larger role on a team that still has postseason ambitions.
The Rangers are clearly evolving, but they’re not rebuilding. With Seager still anchoring the infield and a core that includes players like Adolis García and Nathaniel Lowe, Texas is looking to stay competitive in a loaded American League.
As for the Seager-Semien chapter, it’s closed. Whatever did or didn’t happen behind the scenes, the message from Seager is clear: the focus is forward. And with the Rangers aiming to recapture their 2023 magic, that’s exactly where it needs to be.