Cam Schlittler strikes out 12 as New York Yankees blank Boston Red Sox 4-0 to win AL wild-card series

NEW YORK — Rookie right-hander Cam Schlittler struck out 12 in eight dominant innings and the New York Yankees beat the Boston Red Sox 4-0 on Thursday night to win their American League wild-card series in a deciding third game.

Taking his place in Yankees-Red Sox rivalry lore, the 24-year-old Schlittler overpowered the visitors with 100-mph heat in his 15th major-league start and pitched the Yankees into a best-of-five division series against the AL East champion Toronto Blue Jays beginning Saturday.

“A star is born tonight. He’s a special kid, man,” Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. “He is not afraid. He expects this.”

Amed Rosario and Anthony Volpe each had an RBI single in a four-run fourth as New York became the first team to lose the opener of a best-of-three wild-card series and come back to advance since Major League Baseball expanded the first round of the playoffs in 2022.

“It felt like the most pressure-packed game I’ve ever experienced — World Series, clinching games, whatever,” Boone said.

Schlittler, who debuted in the majors July 9, grew up a Red Sox fan in Walpole, Mass. — but has said several times he wanted to play for the Yankees. He had faced the Red Sox only once before, as a freshman at Northeastern in a 2020 spring training exhibition.

Schlittler said he spoke about the moment Wednesday with Yankees great Andy Pettitte, a five-time World Series champion and winner of a record 19 postseason games.

“I woke up and I was locked in, so I knew exactly what I needed to do to go out there, especially against my hometown team,” Schlittler said.

He outpitched Connelly Early, a 23-year-old left-hander who debuted Sept. 9 and became the Red Sox’s youngest postseason starting pitcher since 21-year-old Babe Ruth in 1916.

Schlittler struck out two more than any other Yankees pitcher had in his postseason debut, allowing just five singles and walking none. He threw 11 pitches 100 mph or faster — including six in the first inning, one more than all Yankees pitchers had combined for previously since pitch tracking started in 2008.

Schlittler threw 75 of 107 pitches for strikes, starting 22 of 29 batters with strikes and topping out at 100.8 mph. David Bednar worked around a leadoff walk in the ninth as the Red Sox failed to advance a runner past second base.

Bucky Dent threw a ceremonial first pitch on the 47th anniversary of his go-ahead, three-run home run for the Yankees at Fenway Park in an AL East tiebreaker game, and they went on to vanquish their longtime rivals the way they often used to.

The Yankees, who arrived packed for a late-night flight to Toronto, won their second straight after losing eight of nine postseason meetings dating to 2004 and edged ahead 14-13 in postseason games between the teams. The Red Sox cost themselves in the fourth with a defense that committed a big league-high 116 errors during the regular season.

The Yankees rally rally began when Cody Bellinger hit a soft fly into the triangle between center fielder Ceddanne Rafaela, right fielder Wilyer Abreu and second baseman Romy González. The ball fell just in front of Rafaela, 234 feet from the plate, as Bellinger hustled into second with a double.

Giancarlo Stanton walked on a full count and with one out Rosario grounded a single into left, just past diving shortstop Trevor Story, to drive in Bellinger with the first run.

Jazz Chisholm Jr.’s single loaded the bases, and Volpe hit a grounder just past González, who had been shifted toward second, and into right for an RBI single and a 2-0 lead.

Austin Wells hit a potential double-play grounder that first baseman Nathaniel Lowe tried to backhand on an in-between hop. The ball glanced off his glove and into shallow right field for an error as two runs scored.

“We didn’t play defense,” Red Sox manager Alex Cora said. “They didn’t hit the ball hard, but they found holes and it happened fast.”

Yankees third baseman Ryan McMahon made the defensive play of the game when he caught Jarren Duran’s eighth-inning foul pop and somersaulted into Boston’s dugout, then emerged smiling and apparently unhurt.

Originally Published:

Related Posts

🚨 BREAKING BOSTON DESPERATELY NEEDS A SPARK — After a frustrating start filled with offensive struggles, the Red Sox are now counting on one infielder to finally break out at the plate before the season begins slipping away, with pressure building fast inside Fenway Park 👀🔥👇👇👇

PRESSURE BUILDING IN BOSTON: RED SOX DESPERATELY NEED CALEB DURBIN TO WAKE UP OFFENSIVELY BEFORE SEASON SLIPS FURTHER AWAY The growing frustration surrounding the Boston Red Sox…

🚨 BREAKING PANIC IS GROWING IN THE BRONX — Yankees ace Max Fried has reportedly made a worrying admission about his injury situation, instantly sending concern through New York as fans fear the team’s championship hopes could already be facing a serious threat before the season reaches its most important stretch 👀💔👇👇👇

Getty Max Fried and Aaron Boone confer in the dugout as the Yankees navigate Fried’s uncertain injury recovery timeline following his IL placement with a left elbow…

🚨 BREAKING MATTHEW BOYD UPDATE JUST CHANGED THE MOOD IN CHICAGO — The latest injury news surrounding Matthew Boyd is already grabbing the attention of Cubs fans everywhere, with growing belief that the veteran left-hander’s situation could have a major impact on Chicago’s pitching plans moving forward 👀🔥👇👇👇

The Chicago Cubs have been without Matthew Boyd in the starting rotation since he was placed on the 15-day IL on May 6. After being given a…

🚨 BREAKING ANOTHER MAJOR BLOW HITS BOSTON — Red Sox fans are anxiously searching for answers after Trevor Story’s sudden injury situation reportedly forced the veteran infielder toward the injured list, creating fresh concern about the stability of Boston’s infield at a critical point in the season 👀💔👇👇👇

RED SOX DISASTER GROWS: TREVOR STORY HEADED TO INJURED LIST AS BOSTON’S NIGHTMARE SEASON CONTINUES TO SPIRAL The nightmare season for the Boston Red Sox just took…

🚨 BREAKING PAUL O’NEILL JUST TOUCHED THE HEART OF NEW YORK — Yankees legend Paul O’Neill has reportedly donated $300,000 to a cancer relief fund in an emotional gesture that is bringing the Bronx to tears, with fans everywhere deeply moved after his powerful words: “I understand what that pain feels like…” 👀💔👇👇👇

In a moment that silenced the baseball world, Paul O’Neill — a legend associated with the golden age of the New York Yankees — announced a $300,000…

Gіаntѕ Predіcted To End Fаіled Rаfаel Deverѕ Exрerіment

іMаGe: аtlаntа Brаveѕ cаtcher ѕeаn Murрhy (12) lookѕ аt the ѕаn Frаncіѕco Gіаntѕ dugout аfter beіng hіt by а ріtch іn the fіrѕt іnnіng аt Truіѕt раrk….